Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 05:32 AM

Default AJo

30/60 online. I haven't been at the table long but think my image is reasonably strong. A player who I don't know at all open-raises from the Button. A well-known loose aggressive fish (32/18/2.2) 3-bets from the SB. I cap in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB bets, I raise, Button folds. SB calls.

Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] SB checks and I bet.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Re: AJo

I like it.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:58 AM

I can't say I hate it but I thikn you're losing almost every time here on the flop. I don't really care about pushing the button out as I don't think he folds many hands that are hurting us because I htink the sb has at least a pair. I don't think your line is horrible though...i guess i'd need to know more about the sb...what kind of plays he makes postflop (which you can't fully tell from those stats, but it looks like he bets a TON) so mb it's not that bad but I do think it's chip spewing.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:08 AM

looks a bit to me as youre running well and now youre in the fase where you start pushing too hard...what do you expect him to fold here ?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't say I hate it but I thikn you're losing almost every time here on the flop. I don't really care about pushing the button out as I don't think he folds many hands that are hurting us because I htink the sb has at least a pair. I don't think your line is horrible though...i guess i'd need to know more about the sb...what kind of plays he makes postflop (which you can't fully tell from those stats, but it looks like he bets a TON) so mb it's not that bad but I do think it's chip spewing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'll put it like this: I think SB is capable of making reads. I'm hoping to induce her to make a bad read.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:29 AM

You're in an ugly spot on the turn. Guys like this won't fold even mid pp's here (unless you know him and think he will), plus you gotta call a check raise, which could be anything from this guy.

If he won't fold a better hand how about a turn check, river call. Then you beat Ax at least (and get the max) and can get a cheap river, where an A or J might also be good.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:28 AM

Sure sucks when QJ calls you down.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:55 AM

(assuming you got called on the turn)

What do you do if you don't improve on the river? Specifically, is this a hand you will bluff raise the river if bet into when a scare card hits?

If you get checked to on the river, do you check behind with your nut no pair. (At first I thought you were only ahead of TJ, but you could be looking at something like 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] here given your description of villain.) Can villain fold a pair on the river if a blank hits with this big of a pot?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:22 AM

I think the problem is after you cap preflop, he's not leading the flop without a made hand that he likes, although there's an off chance of him have J-T or diamonds. I think in general, after this kind of action, this line doesn't have much value.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:16 PM

Default results/thought

Opponent called my turn bet.

FWIW, the river was an offsuit T, giving me the nut straight. Opponent checked and folded to my bet.

It's actually very rare that I play a hand like this.

Thinking about the flop decision first:

I don't think she's betting into me with absolutely nothing on the flop. At the same time:

i) I think the preflop cap gives me a fair amount of credibility,
ii) I think she tends not to bet into me with a very strong hand like TPTK or better. Of course, even AK could stand to be protetcted here, but I'm not sure if she's good enough to recognize that. I think something like a pair of queens is likely here, or possibly a decent draw.

Between nos. 1 and 2, I think I have some flexibility to play a little bit more fast and loose than I might otherwise, because I think a bet-3bet or something like a turn check-raise is pretty unlikely.

In other words, at the very least, the flop raise has a good chance of buying me a free card, and possibly cleaning up outs. There will also be times when she's betting a draw, I have the better hand presently, and I get Button to fold a better made hand or even just something that's drawing live against me; it's a coup when that happens.

On the turn: originally I had intended to in fact take a free card and probably call any river blank, but I shifted gears and decided to put some pressure on her to fold some of her weaker made hands that were looking to draw to trips/two pair. It's a matter of weighing, essentially, the relatively small (IMO) risk of a check-raise against the also relatively small chance that she gives me credit and folds something incorrectly. I went with my gut and bet.