Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 11:47 AM

Default General Observations

Agree/disagree with the following comments in general at your average say 3/6 table:

1) At small stakes online games the basic free card play is a pretty futile effort anymore.
2) Stop and goes from the flop to turn are often a weak made hand, such as top pair weak kicker.
3) A flop 3-bet however still often buys a free card.

As an adjustment to this I find myself raising stronger hands more often on the flop where I used to wait until the turn to get the raise in. I also find myself value betting even more rivers where I used to raise the turn and take a free showdown or just call down.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: General Observations

1) false
2) true
3) true
Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) false
2) true
3) true

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-19-2005, 12:34 PM

I find stop and goes often reveal even worse hands on the river, like A high or busted draw with Q high.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:39 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

1. Depends on the opponents. But 3/6 is a lot more aggro than 2/4 and 1/2, so it's less likely to work.
2. There was an interesting post (i think in mid/ high) about SNGs. The general idea is that SNGs from weak players usually means they have crap pair/ a draw. From better players, SNGs are usually great hands that are looking to three bet you depending on the strength u've shown.
3. Sure, why not.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:57 PM

Yeah, I agree with you and Toby also that a SNG from a weak player is often just crap. And typically I find weak players will take an alternate line with stronger hands. Whereas a better player is often trying to trap the field for max value.

The reason I wanted input was my flop aggression is much lower than a lot of other posters and I think the main reason is I haven't been trying for a free card unless it's a decent draw that's close to a value bet on the flop anyway. It's also a rarity that I'll raise overcards alone. I'm just taking a general look at my game.

Despite my relatively passive flop play my standard deviation is over 17 BB/100, which I believe is on the high side. I think that does make sense though and my SD may actually come down some with more aggressive flop play. Of course I really don't care much about the SD being high. But obviously I'm thinking if I pick up the flop aggression some the bottom line may improve.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:31 PM

I think people overuse the free card play because people with top pair and a strong kicker will 3-bet, along with the set and two-pair plays, but it still works against mid pair, top pair with a weak kicker, and various others.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) false
2) true
3) true

[/ QUOTE ]

The free card play works a ton for me, in all of its forms (betting out for a free card, raising for a free card, capping/three-betting for one).
Old 04-19-2005, 04:44 PM

#3 just doesn't make any sense. If you three bet it means you're out of position which means you check the turn and expect it to get checked through? This might work if they check raise you and you're in position...
Old 04-19-2005, 04:45 PM

this is why fastplaying is usually the way to go. not only will you get a raise on on the flop, but youlll get one in on the turn too quite often