Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 04:11 AM

Default loose games ?

I know in the book small stakes holdem, it says the definitiive guide to crushing loose games and amature oppents.But i see in the 3/6 games tight players, semi bluffing,and i cant bet for value on the river with my marginal hands any more should i play the way texas holdem for advanced players instructs you to? or SSH ?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: loose games ?

[ QUOTE ]
and i cant bet for value on the river with my marginal hands any more

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:30 AM

Against the T&C at limits 3/6 and above.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 AM

If SSH isn't working in your $3/6 game then you're using it incorrectly, you're very unlucky, or you need to work on your game selection. SSH works at this limit and (from what I hear) well above it.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against the T&C at limits 3/6 and above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno what T&C means, but SSH is certainly applicable at limits ten times greater than 3/6.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:54 AM

I think this is an excellent question. What I don't really understand...is why Small Stakes Hold'em is titled as such. What strategies in that book wouldn't work at $15/$30? Back to poster....some $3/$6 games are not that easy (in fact, I find that sometimes they are harder than some higher limits). You might be playing with several players who play solid and tricky. I have heard that Party $3/$6 plays like $20/$40 live (I don't play much live...just going on what online/live players are telling me). I think you might want to work on game selection. I also think some middle limit concepts and advanced concepts apply at $3/$6.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is an excellent question. What I don't really understand...is why Small Stakes Hold'em is titled as such. What strategies in that book wouldn't work at $15/$30? Back to poster....some $3/$6 games are not that easy (in fact, I find that sometimes they are harder than some higher limits). You might be playing with several players who play solid and tricky. I have heard that Party $3/$6 plays like $20/$40 live (I don't play much live...just going on what online/live players are telling me). I think you might want to work on game selection. I also think some middle limit concepts and advanced concepts apply at $3/$6.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably better titled "Loose Hold'em"

My feeling is that the preflop guidelines are good for looseish/passivish games, whether they are 1/2 or 20/40 or whatever. In general, they probably work up to at least 5/10 online and at least up to 10/20 live. If the games are right, perhaps even higher. They are a bit too loose IMO in tighter/more aggressive games like the 15/30 Party and say 30/60 live. For example in the tight games section limping with all suited broadways is recommended from EP. Hands like QTs or KTs are pretty marginal in a tight aggressive game. Also in those games hands like KJ and AT I save for the hijack seat or later, rather than from any MP seat.

The post-flop guidelines are excellent at any limit that I've ever played.

If all you can find are tough 3/6 games, then you need to work on either your table selection or your game.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If all you can find are tough 3/6 games, then you need to work on either your table selection or your game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tough 3/6 games are not all I can find. However, I do see enough tough games that I select games carefully. That is why I suggested to poster to work on game selection.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know in the book small stakes holdem, it says the definitiive guide to crushing loose games and amature oppents.But i see in the 3/6 games tight players, semi bluffing,and i cant bet for value on the river with my marginal hands any more should i play the way texas holdem for advanced players instructs you to? or SSH ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to denigrate you at all. But what is your experience level?

MAybe it would be better for you to play at a lower limit for 2-4 weeks or so to get comfortable.

The reason I say this is, the tone of your post makes it sound like you are looking for concrete answers to a fluid problem.

Some games are tough some are not. A few months back I was playing in .05/.10 (that's right 5 cent/ 10 cent) game, that was actually fairly tough during the 9:00am-12pm hours.

There is no one book that is going to solve all your problems. You just need to understand the underlying concepts and when to apply them.

As I said I am not trying to be condescending and I am sure you know all of this. But it sounds like you are not comfortable with the idea yet. I would reccommend just taking a little time at a lower limit, as yes many 3/6 games can definetly be on the tougher side, but most are not.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As other posters have stated, this boils down to the table that you are at. 3/6 runs the gammut (sp?). There are tables full of retards, and some full of great players.