Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Calling down a loosey goose

This guy is one of those wonderfull rare hybrid lag/calling station types. In other words he is in pretty much every pot pre-flop and raises many. Post flop he bet's when checked to, but calls if bet at. Haven't seen much re-raising with him. He once bet 2$ into an 8 dollar pot and I raised it to ten and he gave it up so he does lay down to a good dose of agression.

What do you think, change it anywhere? I figure I have the best hand the majority of the time but I don't want to raise and loose him. Maybe he would stick around with a small raise on the flop or turn but then I'm building a pot with not all that great a holding.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Hero ($61.6)
SB ($44.52)
BB ($102.35)
UTG ($100.03)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($10.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

River: ($16.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

Final Pot: $18.50
Old 04-17-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Calling down a loosey goose

This line seems like a recipe for disaster. How does giving him incredible odds help your chances here? Raise and take it down, and be happy with the pot. You don't want to lose him? I would love to "lose" someone by folding them out when all I have is TPGK.

-Trail
Old 04-17-2005, 09:37 PM

Even four handed, I don't love that raise behind an UTG limper. Your hand plays well multi-way and I would try to encourage a limpfest. And raise that flop. It could easily be middle pair or 86s or whatever. You have to charge him money to draw out against you.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:14 PM

Good points guys. I thought this might not be the best line hence the post. Anyway of course on the river I think I'm good but won't get called with a raise so I call and win against his KT.

Worst, how often are you limping here PF? Is standard or more like say 75/25. I was trying to maintain a aggro image at this table cause of this guy and one other lag so I defaulted to raising it up, though I do realize this plays good multi-way.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:48 PM

It depends on the nature of the UTG limper and of the guys left to act behind you. The tighter the limper and the looser the players left to act, the more likely I am to limp and look for a big flop. The looser the limper and the tighter the guys behind me, the more likely I am to raise it up and try to isolate the loose limper with position on him. In general, though, against completely unknowns, I am more likely to limp because I think most people are loose, so I am unlikely to get the button and I don't want to play this OOP in a raised pot at all.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:58 PM

i think the pf raise is fine
Old 04-17-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the pf raise is fine

[/ QUOTE ]
Just for the record, I didn't say it wasn't. I said "I don't love it". And then explained when I would do it as well.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In general, though, against completely unknowns, I am more likely to limp because I think most people are loose, so I am unlikely to get the button and I don't want to play this OOP in a raised pot at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did see I have the button in this hand right? Just want to make sure that is just a general comment and not specific to this hand.

But it does mess with my game sometimes when I have a guy like the SB in this hand to my left (he was like 85-90 and then a calling station post flop) cause I like to raise a lot PF and he can cramp my style by calling down so much. I do limp much more often then normal when I have someone like this after me. It sucks when you get a cold run of cards with one of these guys to your left.

Anway, PF is minor in this hand I think we can agree. I agree the main problem was on the flop, I should have raised this flop to like 7 ish to try and get some additional value and then probably call down from there if he sticks with me.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:22 PM

It was a general comment about QJs after an EP limper at 6m. And yes, flop is a much bigger mistake.