Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Thanx Ed!!

Ed, You Rock!!!

I had read WLLH several times and been looking for more. I got SSH and it was just too confusing for me. I read it anyway and realized that it's a strong book but I was just not ready for it.

Well, I took a chance and purchased Getting Started in Hold'em and SURPRISE, it's shedding light on stuff I read in SSH but simply did not understand.

You have managed to break down Pot Equity, Rasing for Value and Semi bluffing in a much more um, moron friendly( best thing I can come up with to catagorize my ability to grasp new concepts ) way that has really helped my comprehension of things.

I now feel I have a better understanding of the games I'm in and think I am ready to understand SSH and on my way to being a stronger poker player.

To Ed I say thanx for raising my enjoyment and understanding of poker. For my fellow lurking beginners, I beg you not to read this book. These are concepts I'd rather keep you from learning. They are just too good to share <grin>
Old 04-19-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Thanx Ed!!

Thank you. I'm really glad people have liked Getting Started so far. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2005, 02:00 PM

I'm still waiting for the autographed copy that I "earned"
Should I stop holding my breath and realize I'm going to have to buy it?
:P
Old 04-20-2005, 02:47 PM

is it worth getting if i've already gotten and read SSH? is there any new material in there? or is it more beginner material intended for those who are literally just getting started?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:55 PM

i just read the other thread, and i think i'm going to get it anyways, just because the response was so positive!
Old 04-20-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it worth getting if i've already gotten and read SSH? is there any new material in there? or is it more beginner material intended for those who are literally just getting started?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to all of your questions is Yes.

I am a firm believer in the principle that it never hurts to refresh yourself in the basics, no matter how "basic."

Reading (and re-reading) books geared towards all level of play only makes you an overall better player.

In short: it's worth the investment in time and money to buy the book and read it.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 04-20-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's kind of both.
It explains things right from the beginning, including the actual physical play/rules of the game.
I'm not just getting started but SSH was a little difficult for me. This book does a better job of explaining certain things in more detail. It sort of fills in some stuff you are expected to already know/understand for SSH.

The thing I like best about this book is how he put some important summary tips in a dark grey box at different points through each chapter.

There is also no limit and tournament sections of the book but I purchased it specifically for limit poker so I've not yet read those.

If your a more experienced player, I'd say it would be a good read just so you know what skills us new folks learn from it in case your planning to farm some cash off us [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]