Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 07:50 PM

Default OVERPAIR FACING A TURN CHECKRAISE

This situation has been troubling me and I need some help making a plan. The game is any mid limit game although I am specifically interested in the Party 15/30. Here is the hand.

Hero is the CO with AA. Middle position limps, hero raises, both blinds call. 4 see the flop. Now lets look at 2 separate flops and assume suits are unimportant and for now the flop is rainbow.

1. JJ5

2. 55J

In both scenarios the action gets checked to hero who bets and is called by the big blind only. The big bling then checkraises the turn.

Now here are the questions:

1. How do you decide when to 3bet, call, or fold

2. When if ever do you just check through the turn

3. If you get 4 bet what is your plan (assuming its capped)

I realize that almost all these decisions will be player dependent but I am still looking for some general thoughts. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: OVERPAIR FACING A TURN CHECKRAISE

This is off the top of my head, but I usually play this hand as described in the HPFAP chapter about playing when the board is paired.

Since you have position, bet the flop. If they call, check the turn to show the hand down cheaper when they do have the paired card (J or 5). If they don't it might induce a weaker hand to bet the river. Since you have aces, and particulary since you said straight and flush draws are irrelevant, you're not worried about giving free cards.

Regards,
pokerhooker
Old 04-08-2005, 08:40 PM

I forgot to mention the turn card is a blank.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:16 PM

on the jj5 board check the turn always.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the jj5 board check the turn always.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were plenty of folks in this thread who disagreed in a very similar situation.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:26 AM

I'm inclined to check through the turn in #1 and call a river bet.

Turn #2 depends on the player. There are many LAG who will check-raise here with a J or a smaller PP. Against those I call the turn check-raise and raise the river. Against unknown I just call down because I can't 3-bet and fold to a cap.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:28 AM

(1) that game was shorthanded
(2) in that game, the person had a lot more information about their opponent.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:23 AM

hand 1 I usually check the turn, unless a Q or K comes then I bet

hand 2 I bet almost all the time and will sometimes 3 bet a checkraise if a T,Q,K comes. Depending on the configuration of the 55J if the turn comes and brings a flush draw for someone hold JsXs I'll also 3 bet if it's not possible for JXs to have a 4 flush I wimp out and call call.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:50 PM

Default BUMP for bonus hand: Very Basic

Instead of creating a new thread I decided to just bump the old with a very similar situation. I don't think that betting the turn and folding to a CR or calling down is any better than my line but just wanted to get some opinions.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: surfdoc is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">surfdoc raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">surfdoc bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">surfdoc 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, surfdoc checks, Button checks.

River: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, surfdoc calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Comments?