Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 04:25 PM

Default 50-100 River Check

50-100 Online. The three opponents in this hand are relatively new to the game, so I don't have much of a read on them. MP is severely underbankrolled for this game, if that means anything.

UTG+1 Limps, MP Limps, I raise on the button with Ks Jd, BB calls.

Flop: 2 4 6 Rainbow

Checked to me, I bet, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP calls.

Turn: 2 4 6 6

Checked to me, I bet, BB folds, MP calls.

River: 2 4 6 6 5

MP checks, I check.

I didn't believe that any better hand would fold, as this player would not likely fold a pair. Any ace-high wheel type draw got there on the river, either with a pair or with a straight. MP would likely have raised A10 or better preflop, so that only leaves A7, A8, or A9, which if he called the turn there is a good chance he would call the river anyway.

So my question is, is this a good check?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: 50-100 River Check

I think you're done here on the end. I agree with your reads, a wheel draw is likely which got there or paired up.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:10 PM

If you know on the turn what you claim you knew on the river, namely, that they would never fold ace high on a board like that, then I think the correct play is simply to check behind on the turn since there are two opponents.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:56 AM

I agree that since hero's hand lacks showdown value a check is a decent option. However, whenever I have i.e. AK here (preflop I raised a limper and the blind calls), it seems both players "one time" quite a bit. I suppose the pot is big enough in their minds that both of then take one off with overcards. Now, when I bet the turn, it goes muck-muck suprisingly often. Maybe even someone folds third pair or something sometimes since my turn bet is into two opponents and they are weak tight.

I think this happens enough with this board to bet the turn with KJ despite the fact that he can't beat the wheel draw (besides he doesn't really have good evidence of the wheel draw until his opponent calls turn)
Old 04-15-2005, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, when I bet the turn, it goes muck-muck suprisingly often.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definately image dependant.

-Brad
Old 04-15-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, when I bet the turn, it goes muck-muck suprisingly often. Maybe even someone folds third pair or something sometimes since my turn bet is into two opponents and they are weak tight.

I think this happens enough with this board to bet the turn with KJ despite the fact that he can't beat the wheel draw (besides he doesn't really have good evidence of the wheel draw until his opponent calls turn)

[/ QUOTE ]

When you bet are you up against people who 100% will call down with any ace high? I don't think the turn bet is bad by any stretch, but if that is the case, a check can't be bad either. I'd bet AK against those same opponents on the turn, and likely on the river as well.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:33 PM

i agree with your thought process here. there's not much you can do on this river. the only reason to bet would be to fold out Ace high. but ace high already called the turn, so...
Old 04-15-2005, 02:12 PM

Isn't this a fold preflop at 50-100 unless your opponents are notably bad?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:11 PM

I didn't have this knowledge at the time when I played this hand, but UTG+1 turned out to be a very loose player whose holdings in this spot could very likely be two overcards trying to peel. This player routinely chased to the river to try to make a pair.

I know it is dangerous to make assumptions based on the amount of money that a player has at the table, but when he sat down with $1000 I felt there was a good chance he was a weak player. With that in mind, it seems that not raising KJ on the button leaves money on the table.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:12 PM

I suspect that Ace high calls, but I'm not sure. How likely do you think it is that A7, A8 or A9 calls a river bet?