Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Question about units

I started the year betting at 11 per play. I have listed that I'm up 10 or so units. Yesterday I bet 15 per play because my roll has increased. I made 35 bucks yesterday. My question to you guys is, did I win over 3 units yesterday by betting 1.45 units per game? or did I win 2.33 units betting 1 unit per game?

The only reason I ask is because I want to keep my stats posted for you all to see. I would like to make myself a respected handicapper on this site and hopefully make people money.

thanks
Old 04-14-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Question about units

As far as posting picks and recordkeeping, SSB has it right, IMO. Each game is worth one unit, no more and no less. If you weight your picks, then the game might be worth 5 units, 3 units, or whatever. The point is that how much you as an individual bet on the game should be irrelevant to other members of the forum.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:29 PM

I guess all I want answered is this. Like in my previous post, if I am up 10 units on the year (with my unit being 11 dollars) and I switch my bet to 15... do I base my +/- units on a 11 bet or a 15 bet. If i make 35 bucks the next day, then did I just win over 3 units at 11 per unit or did I win 2.33 units at 15 per unit.

This seems to be confusing, I'm trying to explain it as easy as I can.

The only reason I want to know is because if I happen to win enough that I'm betting 55 per game at some point in the year, that would be 5 units if you use the base unit from the beginning of the year. I'm wondering if I need to change the unit size (for stats purposes only) when I increase my wagers.

lol, thanks if u can reply with an answer
Old 04-14-2005, 03:44 PM

For posted picks, stop thinking in terms of 11 or 50 or whatever. Think in terms of 1.1 and 1. Separate your own personal recordkeeping from the records of your posted picks. Then there is no confusion. On any posted pick, you should be betting 1.1 to win 1 unit, or 5.5 to win 5, or however many units you want. The actual dollar amount that you bet personally is completely independent of this, so it doesn't matter if you change your personal bet amount 50 times during the year.

For a little bit better explanation, here is why you need to keep records separately. If you are being honest with your picks, you should post them at lines that are widely available. For your own personal bets, you should be able to get at least a half point and usually a full point or more better than the widely available lines. Thus over the course of a large number of bets, you will end up with a personal record that is different than your posted record. So you must keep them separate in order to insure accuracy.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:14 PM

I guess the way I do it is I bet the same amount on every game. Whether it's at +120 or -120, it's always going to be a 15 bet (at the moment). Is that different than how you play? Also, do you make 2 unit plays occasionally?

It seems like making that 2 unit play is putting yourself at risk, because if you miss that one, you have to make up for it with 2 other bets that are 1 unit each. That's why I personally don't do that, but I see that some of you on here post some 'big' plays that are 2 or more units. Whatever works, I guess I'm new to this and I realize it's only been a week, but my picks have been pretty solid thus far. I appreciate everyone's advice on here, this forum rules.