Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2002, 02:36 AM

Default My 40 preflop hands

OK, I like this idea of posting a bunch of preflop decisions, and it seems like some posters like reading them. So, here's mine. They are from a 1-2 online game.

I've been thinking lately that maybe I play too tight. This 40 hands did nothing to change my mind about that. I played 1 hand out of the 32 outside of the blinds. I'm curious to see if anyone can find some playable hands in here.

Hand 1: I'm in the BB with Q9s. There's 1 limper, SB calls, I check.

Hand 2: I'm in the SB with J4s. There's 2 limpers, I call.

Hand 3: JTs on the button. UTG raises, folded to me, I fold.

Hand 4: QTo. 2 limpers to me, I fold.

Hand 5: J4o. 1 limper, I fold.

Hand 6: K6o 2 limpers, I fold.

Hand 7: T6o 2 limpers, I fold.

Hand 8: I'm UTG+2 with A7o. Folded to me, I fold.

Hand 9: UTG+1 with T5s. UTG folds, I fold.

Hand 10: I fold Q6s UTG

Hand 11: I get a free play in the BB with 23s

Hand 12: I get 98o in the SB. There's 4 limpers, I call.

Hand 13: 45o on the button. 1 limper, a raise, I fold.

Hand 14: K7o 1 limper, I fold.

Hand 15: T5o 1 limper, I fold.

Hand 16: Q6o 2 limpers, I fold.

Hand 17: 63o folded to me, I fold.

Hand 18: UTG+2 with J3o. 1 limper, I fold.

Hand 19: UTG+1 with 43o. 1 limper, I fold.

Hand 20: UTG with QQ. I raise, everyone folds.

Hand 21: 23o in the BB. 1 limper, a raise, SB folds, I fold.

Hand 22: 66 in the SB. 2 limpers, I call.

Hand 23: 94o on the button. Cutoff open raises, I fold.

Hand 24: Q4o 1 limper, I fold.

Hand 25: 62o 2 limpers, I fold. This is the start of a little run of cards that makes me wish I was playing hold'em for low instead of high.

Hand 26: 73o 3 limpers, I fold.

Hand 27: 74s 2 limpers, I fold.

Hand 28: UTG+2 with 72o. 1 limper, I fold.

Hand 29: UTG+1 with 84o. UTG folds, I fold.

Hand 30: UTG with 73o. I fold.

Hand 31: In the BB with KQo. 2 EP limpers, MP raises, SB folds, I fold.

Hand 32: In the SB with 54o. 2 limpers, I fold.

Hand 33: On the button with K9o. 1 limper, LP raises, I fold.

Hand 34: T3o 4 limpers, I fold.

Hand 35: J2o 2 limpers, I fold.

Hand 36: KQo 1 limper, MP raises, I fold.

Hand 37: 65s 1 limper, MP raises, I fold.

Hand 38: UTG+2 with 84o. 1 limper, I fold.

Hand 39: UTG+1 with T3o. UTG folds, I fold.

Hand 40: UTG with 64o. I fold.

So, does anyone think I'm playing too tight? Am I folding playable hands? Any comments pro or con are appreciated? Thanks.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:45 AM

Default Re: My 40 preflop hands

I think all of these decisions look fine....except no. 2....This swings you into the too loose category [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Allan
Old 10-30-2002, 02:59 AM

You're playing just fine and have remained patient through an awful run of treachurous cards. The only hand I would have playing differently is hand 31 where your BB is raised and you hold KQo. I would call this hand as it is half price and although it's a dominated hand, smart post-flop play should make this hand a profitable call.

Keep up the grind!

PokerPrince
Old 10-30-2002, 03:12 AM

I was actually hoping someone would comment on #2. I usually play less suited cards than anyone I know, and play less hands out of the blinds than anyone this side of Tommy Angelo. In the past, my default play would have been to fold here. Reading Clarkmeister, Uston, and a few others is starting to make me think this is a mistake.

Thanks for taking the time to read through the whole thing and comment.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:21 AM

I'm not sure if it's a good quality or a bad one, but when I'm running badly I tend to fold more often instead of less. There may have been a little of that at work in hand 31, but I just don't like calling a raise out of position with a likely dominated hand.

Thanks for reading and responding.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:15 AM

I would have mucked #2, a suited 6 gapper j-high even for half price is neg long term. Although your if you were at a site were sb was $1 also with bb then i understand check,peek,fold.
I am also curios about another hand.......#12 and before i start if sb and bb is equal because of limit and site, then I retract ???? but otherwise, you call here on #12 with an 8-9 off against 4 others in ep, not exactly a strong hand, however you muck a j-10s on the button against 1 utg raise......i'm not saying this is incorrect play but how do you justify?compare 8-9o horrid position to j-10 s kickass position fold..?..also good postflop play could make j-10s button, very profitable long run, especially with utg hands in area of ak aq aj...

I would of also looked at #31, if you were folding this hand strictly because of your run of cards on the night than is was an incorrect play, if you were folding because of general opponent knowledge or your own standards and discipline to maintain them then ok.....
i think's that's it....and yes i do enjoy pre-flop hand histores, thanx for posting.

drawnout in chicago.. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2002, 04:39 AM

I'm probably going to play number 31 in the big blind, KQ off for 1 bet in a 4 way pot. Other than that, I agree with all you decisions. This could very well be a mistake with a dominated hand, but I will still probably call there.

Good luck,
Play well,

Bob T.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:18 AM

Those questions are fair enough. The blind structure was .50/1. On the 98o hand, if I remember correctly, I was getting 9-1 on my call with no one showing any strength yet. I called looking to flop 2 pair or a straight draw, otherwise I'd fold. The price seemed right.

As I said in my response to Allan, I was a little unsure of hand #2 also.

On the JTs hand, I just don't think it's good poker to call EP raises the vast majority of the time. Especially with J high. Flopping a bid draw is possible, but I'd rather not play drawing hands heads up.

Finally, hand 31 (KQ in the blinds). I didn't fold strictly because of my bad run of cards, I folded because I think calling a raise with KQ out of position is generally a bad play. I have a great potential to make a second best hand, and will be first to act. Two very bad things.

Thanks for all of your thoughts.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:19 AM

That seems to be the concensus so far. I hope we'll hear a few more opinions on it.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:20 AM

Hi,
I agree with most of the other comments but want to add one important factor. In a microlimit game some people play almost every hand and go to far with them. To identify this players is very important to be succesful. When they are identified you can play lot more hands for one bet and then fit-or-fold after the flop. Your post-flop skills will make you money against this type of opposition.

Your playing style pre-flop is good enough for higher limits so you are on the right track.

BR
Lamby