Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Im freaking on this college thing

I have narrowed it down to 2 schools. Im not asking anyone here where they would go, if you wanna say that, fine.

Wabash College and Loyola Marymount University

wabash will be less fun because i dont really like frats, and 70% of the guys are in a frat (all male school, other coed schools close by, so thats not a prob.) But i think it might be better for a job in the future. I want to major in accounting or business or possibly prelaw.
Loyola offers a way better town (job and interning opportunities) and weather than Wabash, which is in IN, plus the academics are fairly tough. It has way more students, and i went to a small high school so that may be a welcome change.

Thats whats running through my head at this time, and im wondering what people have to say to this question: Should I go with what could be better for me in the future, or should i go with might be SLIGHTLY easier but provides me with a more fun experience. I mean, im only this age once. My dad is a doctor and lost more than a decade to schooling. sure he may get paid more because of it, but is that really what life is about? Or is it not? Sorry for the rant, but I have to make my mind up soon and im sure lots of you know how much im worrying ill make the wrong decision
Old 04-11-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Im freaking on this college thing

Really small schools suck. Better town is +EV.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But i think it might be better for a job in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where you went to college has a lot less meaning than you think. What truly is important in getting a job is what you did in college. Do make sure the college you chose has plenty of oppurtunities to get your name out there and stand out.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:01 PM

Loyola without question.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:03 PM

Bo Kimble! Loyola easy.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:06 PM

What the above post said. Loyola is not only in a much better town, it's also in a pretty awesome location for the greater LA area.

All my friends who ended up at a school in a "college town" loved it for the first couple of years, then realized they were missing out on greater life opportunities. Furthermore, neither a degree from Wabash nor Loyala will make a potential employeer take instantaneous notice. As long as you take advantage of the greater opportunities, interships will go a lot further.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:07 PM

Chairman, you mean going to a liberal arts school? They are both that. As to those who said loyola, why is that? And what do you think about the last question?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:11 PM

The college you graduate from will have little to no bearing on your ability to get a job.

Why Loyola? Small schools are no good. Girls are good. You'll grow a lot in a completely new environment.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:17 PM

My boss went to Loyola and hires a lot of LMU grads, I work in accounting/finance for Sony Pictures, which is pretty much down the street. It's right next to the beach and is(from what I hear) a very nice campus.

I moved from the midwest to LA when I was younger, so I have experienced both and can honestly say that the choice in terms of pretty much everything is LMU.

DN
Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chairman, you mean going to a liberal arts school? They are both that. As to those who said loyola, why is that? And what do you think about the last question?

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of people will spill off on how school A is so much better and prestigious tnan school B. It may be the case, but what is important in college for getting a job is the stuff you do while you are there. Work for a professor, start a club/organization associated with whatever line of work you want to go into, etc. Get creative. I was just saying that make sure that the school you choose has paths you can take so you can get involved. I was big into science (physics), my school has this thing called UROP (Undergraduated Research Oppurtunity Program) where you are immediately thrown in with a professor and start work your freshman year. Doing that kind of stuff is so much more important than where your degree came from. Just make sure the school has those things available that you would like.