Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 02:48 PM

Default K2s...raising for the free showdown

This one really pissed off the natives. Aside from the questionable preflop call, I feel like I played it well enough...what are your thoughts?

Reads: UTG+1 is a fishy, to the tune of 39/4/.7 over ~100 hands. BB has appeared TAG-ish over a couple of orbits, but has not looked very good postflop.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.16 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 8.16 BB, between Hero and BB.</font>

My thinking on the turn raise: The 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] was the mother of all scare cards, both pairing the board and putting 3 to a flush out there. My raise should fold overcards (unless he has a single heart), and should slow down an overpair. The plan all along was to check through the river UI. Good use of a turn raise?
Old 04-10-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: K2s...raising for the free showdown

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking on the turn raise: The 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] was the mother of all scare cards, both pairing the board and putting 3 to a flush out there. My raise should fold overcards (unless he has a single heart), and should slow down an overpair. The plan all along was to check through the river UI. Good use of a turn raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

It got you the showdown you wanted. So I like it from that perspective.

That said, I would have folded pre-flop and raised the flop, folding to a reraise.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I would have folded pre-flop and raised the flop, folding to a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a draw-heavy 7-high flop, wouldn't you expect overcards to 3-bet your Button raise fairly often? And can I really call beyond the flop if I'm 3-bet there?

Preflop, I've been playing a lot of very mediocre hands for 1 bet on the Button lately. So far I'm doing well with that, but I think part of that is just that I'm running well.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:15 PM

I need 2 more limpers to play this hand in this spot. Just b/c villan sucks doesn't mean K2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is a good hand to play in this spot. As is, since you're assuming the 2 has showdown value, I guess your line is fine. Here's to hoping BB has AKo.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a draw-heavy 7-high flop, wouldn't you expect overcards to 3-bet your Button raise fairly often? And can I really call beyond the flop if I'm 3-bet there?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. If you're committed to showing down you'd want to do it as cheaply as possible. I guess I'm looking for a way to get away from the hand; folding should work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd be interested to hear more about your experience playing loose on button especially if you're seeing any patterns besides running good to account for the success.

Nice hand.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:33 PM

The only street that I like is the river.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:39 PM

I would raise or fold preflop, almost always folding.

I would fold the flop.

I would fold the turn, but if you're going to continue I agree that you should raise. I think you should fold though.

River is good.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:00 PM

Well, in this instance my spideysense was right: Villian held AdQh, and MHIG. Of course, villian then took exceptional offense to my having raised the turn with just a pair of twos (good kicker, tho); I agreed that I sucked badly. As luck would have it, this hand transpired right when a fellow 2+2'er sat down at the table, too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As far as the button play, I'm getting much more confident in my postflop skills; probably too confident, in that I know that I've been running really well for the past couple weeks. At any rate, this confidence has led me to believe that I can get away with playing borderline (at best) hands like this one, with position. In that light, I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing when a hand like this one comes along. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]