Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 03:17 AM

Default my hand with brazilio

My thinking here was that he either had a J or a lower PP. It seems like the better play for him would be to check either. He could check-raise a PP for protection, and could be slow with a J on this board. I don't think he'd make a play at me here with a worse hand, betting into 2 other people. The only hand I could possibly be ahead of here that he might bet out with is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I planned to check behind on the turn improved or not, as he would likely checkraise a J, would probably call a pocket pair, and may bet the river no matter what.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.16 BB
Old 04-10-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: my hand with brazilio

What's your read on the inbetween players? Would he rather trap them with a J and make sure it doesn't get checked thru on any street? Then once they fold and you raise he is planning on a turn checkraise?

If he had a PP then I think checkraising the flop would be the best play.

[ QUOTE ]
The only hand I could possibly be ahead of here that he might bet out with is K Q

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think this and what would betting out with this hand accomplish?
Old 04-10-2005, 03:35 AM

YOU JERK, DON'T POST THIS
Old 04-10-2005, 03:37 AM

ps, there's no way I'm going to check a J here, I want the field to face bets 1 at a time, not two cold when I checkraise your autobet. I knew right after I checked the turn that you'd check it through, and that calling the raise on the flop and then popping you again on the turn was the correct play.

I think more importantly, QQ, KK, and AA are all going to cap the flop if I 3-bet and probably bet out once I check the turn. I'm not sure how to extract the most value when he's normally going to be on 1 or 2 overcards. A 3-bet on the flop indicates I've got a pp/J and he'll likely fold UI on the turn. A call to the raise and a bet on the turn might get me an extra 1SB, but it's more likely that he'll just fold his overcards and be done. If I'm lucky, he thinks I'm on a river steal and he'll pay me off.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:39 AM

Inbetween players were slightly over-aggressive, I think one was somewhat loose. He may have bet out his OESFD with overs as a play against me, but unlikely. That was the only hand I could possibly imagine that I could be ahead of, but I did not think it was at all probable.

I couldn't decide whether he would bet out to trap, or if he bet out to prevent one of the aggressive limpers from making a stab at the pot with a hand that would have odds to improve over Brazilio's lower PP. I also am not sure if he recognizes me as a poster, and I had a small sample size on him so I would assume the same about his information.

I therefore did not know what his turn plan was, but going for a checkraise with a J, or a call with a lower pair seemed reasonable HU. What do you think he is more likely to have here, a J or a lower pair? If he checkraised me it would have represented a smaller pair to me, and he might have known this, so he might have bet out with one to throw me off.

I decided that the pot probably justified the raise with times he had a lower pocket pair, and I caught on turn or river. Not sure if it was correct though, couldn't spend nearly enough time evaluating the hand in progress as I would have liked to. (clearly).

Playing poker against people who think sucks. Hopefully he'll charm in soon.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:41 AM

I even said hi to you, you didn't say anything back.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:54 AM

sorry, had attention elsewhere. Didn't see. Why not post this? Sorry if I offended you in anyway. nh.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:59 AM

I just felt like I got tricked on the turn. It's embarassing. I tricked myself, really. And now that I've thought it over, it was probably the optimal play. You'd be more likely to call a river bet than a turn bet, I think. Plus, one more card allows you to draw dead.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:09 AM

I think you played this well, not at all embarassing. I would not have called another turn bet, I almost folded to the flop bet.

I don't know if you had reads on the guys behind you, but I think it would be fairly likely for one of them to bet this flop. I might have checked first in with AJo, or KJ, let one of them bet were I in your position. If they didn't bet, I surely would, if you smooth-called the flop they would be much more likely to call 1 bet from me than one from you when you bet out. The hand would play differently from there, and I'm not sure which line would be better in the long run.