Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Some standard open straight draw situations

This first one is to be aggressive all the way right? (table is loose/passive for the 20 hands I've been on it so far):

PokerRoom 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: KeysrSoze is with 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">KeysrSoze bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">KeysrSoze raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (9.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, KeysrSoze Calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB

But how about now? (after more rounds I find the table very loose/passive with few preflop raises so i feel i can limp in with gapped suited connectors) Pros: hand is better disguised than last one. Cons: No top pair this time.

PokerRoom 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: KeysrSoze is with 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, KeysrSoze calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">KeysrSoze raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, KeysrSoze checks, MP3 checks.

River: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, KeysrSoze folds, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 04-08-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Some standard open straight draw situations

Part of the point of your aggression in Hand 1 is to protect your TP by forcing out any overcards. I'm guessing that didn't happen here, but it's still the right play.

In Hand 2, you don't have anything to protect - I would just call this flop so everyone's still around to pay you off if you hit your draw.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:34 AM

Personally, I think I'm calling the turn on the first one. UTG could have a flush or a six, and the pot is relatively small. I guess the one advantage to raising is you might knock out a hand like Q-10, but UTG could already have you beat and I'd rather not risk getting three bet in this spot.
Raising might be correct though, it'll be interesting to see what some of the other posters have to say.

Calling the river is fine.

I think you played the second one fine.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:43 AM

Hand 1: Do not raise the turn. You only protect your hand against BB and the board is very scary. You will get 3-bet a lot and that would stink. Given your turn raise, fold the river.

Hand 2:
Perfect. Nice flop raise.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:17 AM

I see the logic in this, thanks. Next time I call the turn and save me a bet.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:29 AM

hand one: a call down would be good on the turn, the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] completes two draws, i'd try to get through as cheaply as possible, especially since its an unraised pot

hand two: Flop raise? Some reads on SB would be good, would SB raise on a draw? Same thing as #1, get through pretty damn cheaply, 2 of the cards that complete your draw might be tainted.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In Hand 2, you don't have anything to protect - I would just call this flop so everyone's still around to pay you off if you hit your draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when is raising only about protecting?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since when is raising only about protecting?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I didn't read the hand clearly enough. (What can I say - it was late, I was drunk, she looked eighteen...)

With three people already in, and only two acting after you, a raise does get more value than a call, and might buy the button so you can work the free card, as well.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:03 AM

hand one, flop looks good. i dont raise the turn, theres too many ways of being beat.

i probably fold hand 2 preflop. i also dont raise the flop on this one because the 2 flush devalues your hand quite a bit, leaving you with only 6 clean outs.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:12 AM

Hand 1: As others have mentioned, don't raise the turn.

Hand 2: Fold pre-flop. Perfect otherwise.