Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Capping Pocket 9\'s Preflop

MP3 is almost all-in, and is 3-betting with any two cards here (as he has been doing in the previous few hands). The rest have been calling along with all sorts of garbage.

Based on how loosely I felt people were calling here, I decided to cap for value.

The button here is an aggressive player, although I'm not sure how aggressive and how smart (not that many hands). My thoughts here are a flush draw, especially when he settles down on the turn, although a five or pocket 66's and better could play like this too.

The river bet is attempting to get value from lower pairs including 5's.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (16.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls.

River: (18.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Capping Pocket 9\'s Preflop

[ QUOTE ]
The button here is an aggressive player, although I'm not sure how aggressive and how smart (not that many hands).

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the rest of the hand yet, but button just called three bets cold. He's probably not too smart. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2005, 11:22 AM

Okay, I'm ambivalent about the pre-flop cap. On one hand you can't reasonably expect your nines to hold up unimproved (although that seems to be what happened) with this many opponents, so the cap isn't really for value. On the other hand, you "know" the 3-bettor is just spewing and continued aggression might make it easier to pick up the pot. Then again, the pot is going to be huge so it isn't like a flop or turn bet will push anybody off a hand. All things considered, I think I just call here and refrain from capping.

The rest of the hand looks good.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:23 AM

I think you played this hand fine.

Button called 3 bets cold. He might have JJ-AA, AK, but when he doesn't raise you on the turn then its safe to bet the river for value. Given that he called MP2's PF 3 bet though, I probably wouldn't cap this PF.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:25 AM

I'm not capping this preflop, when it's 3bet I'm calling, and really not liking that.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MP3 is almost all-in, and is 3-betting with any two cards here (as he has been doing in the previous few hands). The rest have been calling along with all sorts of garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like the pf cap. mp3 is allin before the flop. how can you not cap this pf...

rest of the hand, i like, and i hope button didn't have that ten.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:49 AM

Huh, I missed MP3's all-in before the flop. Stupid converter.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:06 PM

MP2 is one for the buddy list. He managed to cold call 3 times on two streets.