Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 04:33 AM

Default SB plays back.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: LongTermLoser is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LongTermLoser raises</font>, SB :#A500AF(TheBadMan)/ calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
TheBadMan checks, <font color="#CC3333">LongTermLoser bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TheBadMan raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LongTermLoser 3-bets</font>, TheBadMan calls.

Too much?

EDIT: SB is tight after 20 hands...so no real read.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: SB plays back.

Yes this is excessive. You got check/raised after raising preflop when two cards in the red zone fell. This doesn't tell you as much as it could about villain's hand, since this is a blind defense situation, but you still have to consider it a strong play. In my opinion he could be trying to push you off a queen, seven, or underpair if he has a 7, flush draw, underpair, or weak queen. He might also have a strong queen or a king. The thing is that your three-bet is only likely to stifle action from the group of hands you beat, and he's still going to come at you with all but the weakest kings. The only hand for villain you really want to 3-bet is the flush draw, and I think he has other hands often enough that you're better off just calling. You're asking to induce a check/fold on the turn from weaker hands with few outs when you 3-bet, when I think you'd rather call the flop check/raise and try to get a bet in on every street, raising the river if you improve (if possible).
Old 04-04-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Re: SB plays back.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes this is excessive. You got check/raised after raising preflop when two cards in the red zone fell. This doesn't tell you as much as it could about villain's hand, since this is a blind defense situation, but you still have to consider it a strong play. In my opinion he could be trying to push you off a queen, seven, or underpair if he has a 7, flush draw, underpair, or weak queen. He might also have a strong queen or a king. The thing is that your three-bet is only likely to stifle action from the group of hands you beat, and he's still going to come at you with all but the weakest kings. The only hand for villain you really want to 3-bet is the flush draw, and I think he has other hands often enough that you're better off just calling. You're asking to induce a check/fold on the turn from weaker hands with few outs when you 3-bet, when I think you'd rather call the flop check/raise and try to get a bet in on every street, raising the river if you improve (if possible).

[/ QUOTE ]
good post!