Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 12:59 AM

Default 44 on the floor.

Table is loose, donkishly so. I'd say avg aggression. Nutthin special on the reads:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

<font color="blue"> ColdCalling... its an ugly affair.... </font>

Flop: (10 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

<font color="blue"> Well that is not the prettiest flop Ive gotten tonite... thanks for nuthin on the freebie fellas...</font>

<font color="blue">wait, and den... </font>
Turn: (5 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ....?.....

Decisions..... what do you do here and why?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: 44 on the floor.

fold preflop

on the turn, I just call, its obvious no one has a ten (or at least they horribly misplayed it), so dont raise and shut out 3 people who may hopefully potentially call with a weak ace, or a draw or something, maybe ull get lucky and one of them will check raise
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

First I will ask you if you make this call from the button if UTG raises, MP Coldcalls, CO Coldcalls, and den you expect at least one of the blinds to play along?

If no, I am not sure why. If yes, well I agree with that.
If you said yes, do you feel like it is substancially different than my action from CO if my table read was that I expected roughly the same amount of people seeing the flop?

Anyway that is my rationale for my occasional pp coldcall from the CO. What do peeps think of that? Good, bad, or ugly?

I will circle back to the turn decision at a later time, perhaps after some more responses. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:53 AM

so dont raise and shut out 3 people who may hopefully potentially call with a weak ace, or a draw or something

is anyone really folding top pair or a draw here? i really doubt it.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is anyone really folding top pair or a draw here? i really doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you are so ahead and the pot is so small that raising here is a mistake. It can be possible that over 4BB are lost here because of a raise.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:15 PM

well, my handreading here realtime wasnt exactly up to snuff... as I did not rule out a T. I was thinking it could still be possible that one of these jokers was slowplaying a T, and in that case I would like to get his action/ charge him for a river fillup. Turn checks after flop checked through, makes it pretty unlikely anyone is holding a T.

I also saw some draws. And the turned 4 doesnt look that threatening. I figured the draws would likely pay 2 here and evenmore if they hit on river. If they don't hit on river, then I would be glad they paid on turn.

i thought a donkey Ace would likely continue as well.

anywho- i raised turn... which is my default when i am not real sure what to do in these situations
Old 04-01-2005, 12:16 PM

also, nobody else like/dislike pf coldcall?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:23 PM

I vote raise the turn. SB, BB, UTG clearly hate their hands if they checked the flop AND the turn. I expect them to fold either way, so it's time to get as much money as I can as soon as I can. If MP picked up a heart draw, make him pay now -- if he misses on the river you can't rely on him to do anything except check/fold.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:44 PM

I'm not a fan of the preflop call.

Close call on the turn. You'd hate to miss some loose calls from KQ/KJ/QJ (especially if they hit on the river) and weak aces, but you get 1-2 bets from a heart draw. I vote call, but it's definitely close.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a fan of the preflop call.

Close call on the turn. You'd hate to miss some loose calls from KQ/KJ/QJ (especially if they hit on the river) and weak aces, but you get 1-2 bets from a heart draw. I vote call, but it's definitely close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that after the flop check-through, there's a reasonable chance that an inside-straight-draw bets out on the flop, i.e., if UTG had KJ I think he bets it here. And hell, he might call two back to him anyway -- many of these guys have little to no concept of pot-odds.

I've slowplayed hands like this in the past and my recollection is that they usually go check/fold on the river, or check/call. I think you probably get an extra bet here by raising.