Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 12:36 AM

Default AK two pair hand

Villian is somewhat unknown to me, which leads me to think I should fold preflop. Well... should I fold preflop?

This is a pretty good flop for me. Should I play it any differently?

More thoughts later.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($915)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($1477)</font>
BB ($2081.5)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($1519)</font>
UTG+1 ($1184.5)
MP1 ($1503)
MP2 ($963.25)
CO ($1217)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $195</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $170, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($440) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $175</font>, Hero calls $175.

Turn: ($790) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $500</font>, Hero calls $500.

River: ($1790) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $602</font>, Hero calls $602.

Final Pot: $2994
Old 03-30-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: AK two pair hand

this looks like a real interesting hand, i really wanna see what people have to say about it, as it is i fold preflop, after that i dont know where i can find a fold, hopefully it worked out
Old 03-30-2005, 12:53 AM

Fold pre flop....

If not, you played it perfect...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:58 AM

The big question is...what can you beat here? Maybe you are splitting with another AK. But other than that, what does he pop you with preflop? AA, KK, QQ, AKs. and thats defining his hand. makes a small bet (maybe a blocking bet?) on the river which leads me to believe AK, but he also could be value betting AA or KK. I just can figure out what you would be ahead of here.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The big question is...what can you beat here? Maybe you are splitting with another AK. But other than that, what does he pop you with preflop? AA, KK, QQ, AKs. and thats defining his hand. makes a small bet (maybe a blocking bet?) on the river which leads me to believe AK, but he also could be value betting AA or KK. I just can figure out what you would be ahead of here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-30-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely is a bluff, that is why you call down instead of raise.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:31 AM

Popin,

villian's line doesn't look like a bluff AT ALL though. If he was messing around preflop, which is doubtful to begin with, he most likely wouldn't continue his bluff after the flop. I can't really see any hand that would semibluff, since there aren't any big draws out.

If we can assume villian is a decent player, we know he would only re-raise with 4 hands. After the turn, I think QQ is out of the picture, which means that he has either AA, KK, or AK. There is one combination each of AA and KK, and 3 combinations of AK. That means 60% of the time you will split the pot and 40% of the time you will lose. Other than folding the flop, I don't see much that you can do, since if you raise the flop to find out where you are at AK isn't going anywhere.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:20 AM

But i think you have to look at the odds for him repopping with each hand. I think AA and KK repop much more often, esp, KK because he doesnt want to give people a free ace. Folding the flop is no good, too weak tight, and you have to call that small bet on the river so its either fold the turn, or fold preflop. Folding preflop is weak too, so maybe fold the turn....i feel like after the turn you can eliminate QQ, and safely say that he has AA and KK. Or AK. Or is bluffing. but that is all about read. I fold the turn. (Which is complete BS, I actually call down. but you probably SHOULD fold the turn.)
Old 03-30-2005, 02:21 AM

"If we can assume villian is a decent player, we know he would only re-raise with 4 hands. "

I would hope not.

-Evan
Old 03-30-2005, 02:58 AM

Unless villian is a complete moron, he took your entire stack. Your only hope is that he's grossly overplaying AQ or AJ or some smaller ace.

Against good opposition I'm folding on the turn and possibly preflop. Against the donkeys I typically play against, I smooth call the flop and push the turn.