Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 11:30 PM

Default AK hand - PP15/30

Would appreciate comments on this hand. What's unique is the button in this situation, obviously felt he had some sort of read on me. I had no notes on him, but noticed he was 3 betting all of my raises. A couple of these went to showdown and he had surprisingly weak hands. I began capping all of his 3bets preflop. Otherwise, he played extremely tight preflop.

Preflop is fairly standard. On the flop, I considered a 3bet, but this obviously wasn't knocking anyone out. I assumed I had a better starting hand based on this little game we were playing, figured MP1 to be on a draw.

The turn gets interesting when the A drops. I figured he would raise me and came out betting, with hopes of knocking MP1 out facing 2 cold and reraising the button. That didn't work as MP1 stayed in. Anyone still 3betting there? On the river, I was willing to call one bet, but figured someone had hit a flush. Thoughts? I really can't see folding this on the flop. Perhaps I should have folded the MP1 lead on the river, saving myself a bet? Anything else I could/should have done differently?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13.66 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.83 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.83 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 20.83 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Jh Tc (straight, queen high).
Button has 4c Jc (flush, queen high).
Outcome: Button wins 20.83 BB. </font>
Old 03-27-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: AK hand - PP15/30

"Perhaps I should have folded the MP1 lead on the river, saving myself a bet?'

no chance. that can way too easily be some sort of random desperation bet.

i didnt read the whole post it's too long, but from what i gather button is loony meaning not 3 betting the turn here is awful.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:49 PM

You played it fine, only thing I might do different is 3-bet the turn. The button could have anything, you could be behind him, but the 3rd player in the hand would make me more likely to 3-bet the turn.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Thanks guys. Looking at it now, I agree the only thing I did wrong was not 3 betting the turn. I've been getting pounded and might be a little gun shy. Took a couple days off over the weekend to help.