Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 09:39 PM

Default When to fold top pair?

A common situation that plagues me in the party 15-30 games is when i get a free flop with a hand like K6 and flop a king. These games are so aggressive that its often difficult to put your opponent on a precise range of hands. Obviously reads are key in general, but i'm curious, lets say you check the BB with K6. The flop comes KQ4 with say 2 hearts. The SB checks, you bet and get raised by someone who has only played 5 hands at the table and you have NO READ. What would your line be here?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: When to fold top pair?

With no read, I three bet.

If the call option appears at any time, I use it, and then check call the rest of the way.

If the call option does not appear, I will lead out, and continue to do so until it does.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: When to fold top pair?

[ QUOTE ]
With no read, I three bet.

If the call option appears at any time, I use it, and then check call the rest of the way.

If the call option does not appear, I will lead out, and continue to do so until it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about your rational for this line. I don't think we are getting better hands to fold oftne, if ever, so your assuming that your good here more then half the time against a random player with no reads? If he has K-10 KJ, i don't see him raising us again, but that doesn't mean he won't call down if you just keep betting. I would have gone more towards just folding or going into check call mode. I'm interested to hear more opinions.