Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re. the Donks that were out last night...

Last night was ridiculous at 5/10 on Party...

Needless to say and as often happens, after a great start... I couldn't win a pot vs the donks... Was getting great cards (lots of big suiteds) but could not make a flush draw or 2-pair all night. Lost set over set twice (with a flush draw opponent capping every street in between us)...

So I am re-assessing my 'donk strategy'... How to play AA after the flop when you raise from EP and get cold-called in 5 places?

Also in the BB... when there are 5 limpers, I was raising KQs and AJs for value? My VP for the night was 17% so I don't think I was on tilt... but quite possibly some kind of post-flop mini-tilt... I guess there is a fine line between: 1) winning a few extra of these monster pots and 2) losing your shirt...

anyone else feel my pain last night????
Old 03-27-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Re. the Donks that were out last night...

what is your definition of a donk?

-sinful

did not have that experience last night but on friday night i went through a similar experience
Old 03-27-2005, 01:55 PM

with 5 limpers I'll raise most suited connectors down to 98s for value. AJo I wouldn't be raising in a huge field in the BB, but I don't have a problem with AJs.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:01 PM

what is your definition of a donk?

60% VP
cold calling with KQ-off/KJ-off vs EP raise from a sub 20 VP
calling 3-bets with small pairs in 3-way pots
capping the turn with 'only' a flush draw (in a 2 or 3 way pot)

-----------

I have seen the same story many times. I wouldn't call the following profile necessarily a 'donk' but this is a common profile of 5/10 friday/saturday night player:

~50-65% VP.
very good AFTER the flop.
he wins $500 one night
next time you see him, he wins 20-40 BB's
next time, you watch him lose $900 at your table alone

sometimes you have 2 or 3 of these guys at your table (last nights experience). this leads to some wild swings in your bankroll. they aren't total donks... they are LAG's who play well after the flop. My strategy has been to play tight and re-raise them when I do enter the pot (including AQo/AJs/ATs/KQs and 99+). I know that on average my hand is better pre-flop so a pre-flop raise makes sense (dropping down a little in re-raising standards). The problem is when it is going multiway despite your efforts to isolate (a few '3-bet small pair callers' playing for a set). Even this is ok if you make some flushes and 2-pairs and straights to beat a field and win a few big pots... But when you are missing flush draws and go 0 for 3 in AA and 1 for 4 on KK... pain lies on the riverside.