Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Hero:
Folds 37 84.09%
Calls 4 9.09%
Raises 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Got my free copy of SSH and just finished it...

...and I see why so many posters here have been raving about it. Lots of good food for thought. Maybe if I can absorb it completely I'll be able to play this game someday.

I've also read TOP and it seems this is a book that needs to be read more than once. The authors of SSH also recommend re-reading the text regularly. I was just curious about those here who have read these books, how many times did you feel you needed to read each one before you felt you really understood it well?

Thanks for any responses.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Got my free copy of SSH and just finished it...

I know this is what your poll is for, but [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ...

SSHE is a great "playbook" style book designed for a specific game under certain condition. It teaches you how to do one thing extremely well. That said, I don't think it's a matter of how many times it is neccesary to read the book, but rather it's a question of you constantly staying in touch with the concepts it preaches.

I can usually tell when my SLAA style turns into LAA, and that's when I go back to SSHE. (turning into a LAA is bad, but not noticing is worse)

As far as TOP goes, I read lots of it, but since it's not really an application book, I don't feel the need to constantly stay in touch with it. Since I'm playing 95% small stakes limit HE, SSHE is much more important to me.

I understand a lot of the concepts in TOP, but don't feel the need to stay as close to it. Perhaps as I move up levels, and play different games, I will.