Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Turning 21 Next Week... Will Be at Bay 101 on 4/2... some questions

Alright, so next Saturday (as in 8 days from today) I will finally turn 21, which means Bay 101 will officially become my new home. I may go to the Giants-A's game during the day, but I intend to be at Bay 101 from say 7 PM 'til the wee hours of the morning. If anyone is going to be there that day, I'd love to meet up.

Also, some quick questions:

Are they cheap bastards like Commerce where you have to pay for drinks? (I was only 20 when I went to Commerce, but I always thought they were cheap bastards for that)

I hear they have 10-handed tables now and changed the rake around. Seeing as how I never knew what it was like before, someone just want to describe it for me?

What limits are we looking at here? I'm thinking I want to play something between 6-12 and 15-30. Probably a 9-18 if they have it (and its reasonably soft). Any info on the games??

Chip runners or buy the racks yourself? And how big is this place in general, I've driven by but never really got a close look.

That's about all I have. I'll see some of you bay area guys this saturday at the Battle of the Bay II. And anyone heading to Bay 101 on the 2nd, let me know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Turning 21 Next Week... Will Be at Bay 101 on 4/2... some questions

[ QUOTE ]
Are they cheap bastards like Commerce where you have to pay for drinks?

[/ QUOTE ]

The city does not allowed them to give away anything. If you want free drinks, I suggest telling everyone it is your 21st birthday or offer to pot for drinks, ie make an agreement with other players that the next person to win a pot buys a round of drinks, then play real tight until someone wins.

[ QUOTE ]
I hear they have 10-handed tables now and changed the rake around. Seeing as how I never knew what it was like before, someone just want to describe it for me?

What limits are we looking at here? I'm thinking I want to play something between 6-12 and 15-30. Probably a 9-18 if they have it (and its reasonably soft). Any info on the games??

[/ QUOTE ]

The 6-12 and 8-16 games are 9 handed with a $4 rake taken from the pot if their is flop, $1 for no flop.

20-40 and higher are 10 handed and charge $7,9$,$11 per 1/2 hr for 20-40, 40-80, 80-160.

[ QUOTE ]
Chip runners or buy the racks yourself? And how big is this place in general, I've driven by but never really got a close look.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have chip runners. The place is nice and big. Best place to play in the bay area.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Turning 21 Next Week... Will Be at Bay 101 on 4/2... some question

No offense, but why aren't you going to go out and get completely obliterated on your 21st birthday? You can go to the poker room another time.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:28 PM

Because I can go out and get completely obliterated any other time.

I have a fully stocked bar in my apartment. The club I go to every Saturday, I am friends with basically everyone there since I used to DJ there and I get free drinks all night long since I was like 18. I've been to Rosarito god knows how many times and it's basically $10 for all you can drink down there (my last trip being 2 weeks ago).

I'm pretty much all out of drinking energy right now.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:31 PM

So $8/16 is the closest to $9/18 I'm going to get? And no $15/30 type game? Meh...

Oh any food comped like Commerce for the higher limits? And any jackpot drop?

Oh and I love how the time charge games all the sudden get 10 handed... cash motivates, yes?
Old 03-26-2005, 02:18 AM

Only free stuff is water, coffee, tea, and Card Player magazine. A few cheaper specials on the menu.

No Jackpot drop. Also forbidden.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:36 AM

Good, I hate JP drops. Meh, at least water and stuff is free. What about sodas? If not, I can stick to water (bottled, yes?). And what is a drink going to run me for your average cocktail (say rum & coke? or an adios).
Old 03-26-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Turning 21 Next Week... Will Be at Bay 101 on 4/2... some questions

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More info on the games: there are many 6-12 games spread each day but only a single 8-16. It's OK, but hardly a great game. The 8-16 w/half kill at Garden City has much more action, although Bay101 has a *much* nicer atmosphere -- not a big deal if you're playing once a week, but if it's going to be your home-away-from-home, it may be a consideration.

Personally, based on what I know of game selection at Bay101, I would recommend playing the 20-40 as soon as your bankroll will allow it. Typically two 20-40 games go each evening, with one or more Must Moves as well.

Just my .02 cents.