Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 10:40 AM

Default AK hits flop

Hi!

Let's say you play AK and raises to 4xBB and get two callers. You are in SB.

Flop is: K86
You have TPTK and no apparent draws (rainbow flop).
You bet Pot size and get 1 caller.

Turn is: T

1. How much do you bet on turn here? (pot, 75% of pot ?)

And what do you do on the river if he calls a big bet here?
2. River is: Q (K86 TQ)

3. River is: 9 (K86 T9)

4. River is: 8 (K86 T8)

5. If there was a flushdraw on the flop and the flushcard hits on turn, how much would you bet? Or would you check?

5. I think AK is hard to play in NL. If you raise with it and an A or a K comes on flop everyone knows you probably have at least a pair. And if they have something better they stick around calling probably and if they have only a pair they probably fold. Am I right?
If you get a caller on a big bet on the flop when you have raised pf with AK and you hit a pair I think it's very likely that you are beat already or at least they have a nice draw. Thoughts?

And if you dont raise with AK you have no clue where you stand on the flop.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: AK hits flop

Hello fellow stockholmian. It is very hard to give general advice on situations like this due to the "type of opponent variable". Also, the position of the opponents matters and stacks etc. It also depends on whether the turn completes the rainbow.

I myself, and alot of players on these boards, tend to complete/check AK/AQ out of the blinds because it's so difficult to play OOP. Especially if there are multiple limpers.

Depending on what I wrote above, I either check the turn or bet 3/4 of the pot. I bet more often than I check. If called, I´m not very fond of my hand. Depending on stack sizes, I probably throw out a 1/3-ish of pot blocker on the river, and fold to a raise. Althoug, taking this line, you might be too commited to lay it down.

Consider completing/checking A K in the blinds, and you'll save yourself alot of uncomfortable situations.