Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 10:43 AM

Default How tough are HOSE/SHOE games?

In AC and elsewhere they play mixed games HOSE/SHOE whatever mostly at fairly high limits like 75/150. Are these games tougher than similar level holdem, stud, and Omaha games?
Old 05-07-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: How tough are HOSE/SHOE games?

I remember last year at the WPF, talking to Greg about mixed games, especially 8/b games. Greg said that in split games, no matter the level, there are always people who just have no clue as to how to play properly. He said something like even if I'm no master in one game, I can more than make up for it in a split game.

Last week I repeated this to Max Pescatori, who was playing mixed games at Bellagio at 75/150 and 200/400, I believe, and he totally agreed with Greg. He even went as far as to say, "JUST 75/150? I've seen it all the way up to 300/600."

I have not played mixed games that high. John Cernuto made me play his stack at Commece at the 100/200 level, mixed O8 and Stud 8, but only for a few hands, and I never even got involved. I will say, however, that the hands I watched when I was at the table seemed to indicate that there were at least a couple of donators at that level. John also played mixed games and O8 at the WPF and said that even at the highest limits, the O8 is very easy there.

Good luck!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net
Old 05-07-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In AC and elsewhere they play mixed games HOSE/SHOE whatever mostly at fairly high limits like 75/150. Are these games tougher than similar level holdem, stud, and Omaha games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those games rule. If you are decent at all the games, you'll clean up. Most players in those mixed games can only play one or two well, and they are clueless in the others. It depends on the player, of course, but you'll pick up on it pretty quickly. My personal favorite is the 40/80 at the borg
Old 05-07-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those games rule. If you are decent at all the games, you'll clean up. Most players in those mixed games can only play one or two well, and they are clueless in the others. It depends on the player, of course, but you'll pick up on it pretty quickly. My personal favorite is the 40/80 at the borg

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to try the 40/80 at the Borg. Most of those mixed games are higher than I'm comfortable playing at this time. I'm not primarily a limit cash games player, but I can play all of those SHOE/HOSE games more or less equally well or badly.

I was wondering if these tables were mostly just pros who liked the challenge of playing different games. I guess not.

There are a lot of fairly basics aspects to playing Stud/8 that some people might miss, such as when you have a playable hand, reading low hands, and the dynamics when two people are raising back and forth. Stud/8 isn't spread much now, and Razz certainly isn't.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Does this game go every weekend? I'll have to check it out.

Jeff
Old 05-08-2005, 09:14 PM

I've heard that frequently the mixed game players, at least at the bellagio, aren't too good at holdem relative to say the 80/160 players.