Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 04:28 PM

Default One valuable idea

Since a lot of people seem to be complaining about the quality of the forums, how about we try to create a quality thread?

If everyone would post a reply with one idea in it that they have found particularly valuable to their game... we could have a bunch of great thoughts in one thread.

Here's a thought i've been having today after i overplayed my pocket kings and lost my winnings of the day:

Overplaying hands costs me more money than any other mistake i make.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: One valuable idea

With deep stacks, raise in position with a variety of hands (suited connectors)... you keep your opponents guessing and have a disguised hand if you hit. AND when you raise with your big pairs/AK... your opponents won't be sure.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:48 PM

vary your play based on your opponent. if your goal is to take the villian's stack (as it should be), you'll sometimes need to play an identical hand differently against a solid player and a fish. use the line that will get all the villian's money in the pot when he's an underdog.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:06 PM

I play my best when I'm not tired, stressed, or distracted. If I only play when I'm focused I will win much more.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:53 PM

If at any time you find yourself completely frustrated with an opponent and-or table to the extent that you are making irrational plays/steals/calls targeting said player ...

Simply LEAVE THE TABLE IMMEDIATELY.

This isnt B&amp;M, you have options.

I wish I had followed this advice last night im now 2 buyins short bc I didnt.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:00 PM

You sit down at a less than full table and immediately identify one player as an LAG/Maniac, and the rest of the table is fairly passive. The seat to his left is open. Leave your seat and take that one.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:19 PM

IMO when to play and when not to play is one of the most important decisions to make when playing poker.

Don't play when your are tired, drunk, upset etc, you might think you are playing well but you're not. If you are not focused you will make mistakes you wouldn't have made if you were playing at your best.

Don't play over your bankroll. I have seen players at the bigger limits go broke in one night because they are to stubborn to leave before they get their money back. If you are going to play 100-200 NL heads up with a top pro you better know what you are doing and have a big enough bankroll that losing a few buyins won't affect you.
Even if you do have the bankroll, why play against the pros? Why not find a easier game at a lower level? Just because you have the bankroll for it doesn't mean you have to play.

If you are losing and feel that it's starting to affect you game, quit immidietly and don't play until you feel you have put the loss behind you.
Playing over your bankroll will make it even easier to start playing bad.

If you lose a big pot in NL take a short break and make sure that the loss haven't affected you and you are playing your best game.

If you are on a big losing streak and it's affecting your game take a few days off and do something else than poker. When you start playing again don't think you have to make your money back. Think of it as starting at even and focus on playing you best and don't worry about how much you are down.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Always buy-in for the maximum amount, then if you lose some of your stack re-buy to the maximum. There is no reason to be short stacked in ring games...so dont be!

Also...remember that life is one big poker game, if you lose in one session dont let it get you too down (its hard i know) because if you consistently play better poker than your opponents you WILL win in the long run.

Obliky
Old 03-21-2005, 08:14 PM

i like to wait for the button to rebuy. i think i play so bad oop that it's more profitable for me this way.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Don't tap the aquarium! I constantly see other players reaming some poor fish because of a bad call he/she made and got lucky on. They even go so far as to explain to them why it was a bad call, this is -EV. JMO