Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 08:22 AM

Default time for a resteal pre-flop?

(sorry, no hand history for this one)

10 dollar Multi on Ladbrokes. Over 600 runners, down to last 65. Top 60 pay but not interested in just making the money.

Blinds 600-1200. Lots of stealing at my table combined with a dry run of cards means i've not been in pot for a while. My stacks down to 13,000 chips. Av stack over 15,000.

I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB. Folds round to button who has 22,000 chips. He Min raises to 2,400. I have no read on the player. BB has 6,000 chips left.

What action here?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: time for a resteal pre-flop?

call. bet any flop unless its a monster, then c/r all-in.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call. bet any flop unless its a monster, then c/r all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like this line. pushing pre-flop is pretty unappealing b/c villain is getting just 1.6:1, so his calling range will probably look something like 77+, AJ+ (AT?), maybe KQ, and A9s does pretty bad against that range. i don't have poker stove, but i'd guess that 98s will do better. and you wouldn't look at 98s and think that's an auto-resteal. however, if you think that villain will call with hands like QJ, KT, and a5, then pushing a9s looks a lot better.

assuming BB folds, there will be 6k in the middle and hero has 10k. i would slightly modify dmk's line to: bet 3.5k at any flop you miss or any flop with an A, c/r all-in a monster, and open push a flush draw or a 9.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:12 AM

By 9 do you mean 9 high...what if the flop comes KQ9.....you gonna open push? Im not trying to be a nit picker just curious.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:37 AM

that's a fair question. i'd push. it's like a semi-bluff that's only in real trouble against AK, AQ (if it calls), K9, Q9, and sets.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the replys. I like the call and bet out line discussed a lot more than the play i made. Interested in what range of hands you would do this with, given the situation i described?

As for what happened, my thinking here was I had the best hand and wanted to pick up the pot there and then. So I pushed pre-flop. The button called with AJ and i was out.

Basically i think i played this hand badly. It might be more of a discipline issue though, as i was growing tired of playing weak/tight, giving up my blinds to the stealers etc.

I think i had almost decided in advance to push over the top of any late position raise. Another mistake i will have to learn from...
Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

assuming BB folds, there will be 6k in the middle and hero has 10k. i would slightly modify dmk's line to: bet 3.5k at any flop you miss or any flop with an A, c/r all-in a monster, and open push a flush draw or a 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you proposing he fold to a raise on an A-high flop? In this scenario the Hero starts the hand with 13k, and ends it with ~7k (2.4 to see the flop + 3.5 for his flop bet). I can't come up with a better choice, but losing half your stack to see three cards just makes me feel yucky.

Sam
Old 03-22-2005, 02:22 PM

no, i'd call a push. it'd make me very unhappy, but i don't think there's much to do about it.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:29 PM

Okay, so we are on the same page here.

If you are going to call a push, why not push to begin with?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:30 PM

i would check an A, get a worse hand to bluff.