Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Should I have called?

I was sitting at a $1-$2 no-limit hold em table at Foxwoods yesterday, I was playing a very conservative yet agressive game (meaning I would wait awhile for good hands to play but when I had the good I was more than willing to push my chips in the pot) I had been playing for about 4 1/2 hours now with pretty much the same players, and my unwillingness to show hands my opponents didn't call, and my willingness to comeback over the top with big re-raises made a few of the players actually curse at me through out the game. The hand I am now going to describe was played against one of those guys who I had been pissing off and I had beaten him out of every large pot that we had been in together, I'm first to act and I am dealt Pokcet Queens, I raise to $15 three players fold then it comes to him and he (with a very un-easy look on his face) pushes all of his chips into the pot and declares himself all in for another $150 dollars. The action all folds back around to me. I'm thinking to myself that this guy has just gone over the edge, or has he? Would this player have made this move with Aces I ask myself, no that play is designed not to get a call, A-K? not this guy, he would've liked to have seen a flop with that hand first to see if he could hit before going all in. Pocket Kings? Mabey, I give it a 20% chance of happening, mabey all-in just to protect against the ace. I've got pocket queens so I don't think he has a pair of those too. And then there are Jacks, this guy is a novice player who thinks he knows how to play winning poker, which is why at this time I was sitting on over $500 after buying in for $100, I loved this guy, he was wearing sunglasses at a $1-$2 table like this was some sort of wpt event or something. Back to the Jacks, to him I see that he might think, that this holding is good a pair of picture cards. I don't think he would've made the all in play with anything but kings or jacks. What should I do? It's going to cost me an extra $135 to call this bet, I honestly think he's holding jacks but shold I still lay this hand down just because of the exorbant amount I would have to call, I'm basically getting just a little better than 1 to 1 on my money? I almost folded just because of that, but in the end I called. He asked what I had before we flipped over and I said queens and he shook his head as he flipped over jacks. The flop came 2-2-3 the turn came J and the river came an 8. I lost the hand but that's not my concern, in a situation like this when you think that you have your opponenent dominated pre-flop but it cost you so much to call the bet, what should be done here and talk me through your thought process either for or against a call. TY.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Should I have called?

You should pick up your chips and head home because you obviously have no business being in that game.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:34 PM

what do u mean, I have no business being in that game?
Old 03-27-2005, 03:40 PM

Trying not to be rude, but giving the previous post this might come off wrong :P. I think he means of course you should call with QQ if you think your opponent has JJ. If you you aren't going to take that kind of shot what shot will you take? If you had AA you wouldn't hesitate but your odds of winning are the same wether you hold QQ vs JJ or AA vs JJ. You made a good read and got sucked out on, it happenes. But you should call in that situation everytime, if you are sure on your read.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:42 PM

Why are you raising to $15 first to act in a 1/2 game? Fold to his all-in re-raise.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:46 PM

Because you are scared to call even when you think you have your opponent dominated. Sound like you are playing way outside of your bankroll or with the rent money.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:49 PM

I raised to $15 at the $1-$2 no-limit because the table was filled with a bunch of players who would've paid $10 real easily to see a flop with marginal hands. $15 was on the low side for a raise at that table yesterday, some people were opening pots for $30-$35 dollars. A normal raise of anywhere from 3 to 5 times the big bling would have just made it a family pot with all ten players in. I had to adjust my raises to the table.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:53 PM

The answer should be obvious to any decent poker player. I think you answered it yourself with this line: [ QUOTE ]
in a situation like this when you think that you have your opponenent dominated pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ] Simply put, the amount of money you have to call is trivial in a situation where you are likely to have your opponent dominated.

P.S. For future posts use the enter key to make spaces in between paragraphs. It makes it much easier to read.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because you are scared to call even when you think you have your opponent dominated. Sound like you are playing way outside of your bankroll or with the rent money.

[/ QUOTE ] I wasn't afraid to call(I did make the call) I was just asking the question to see what an experienced poker player would do in a similar situation. Would they have made the call or folded. And their reasoning behind the decision. and p.s. my bankroll is still intact, thanks for the consideration.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:19 PM

THROW CARDS UP IN AIR AND RUN AWAY SCREAMING

but serioulsy, if you think your ahead, call, always be ok with losing all your money at the table in a NL game to begin with so you can play without fear and maxmize EV