Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Good time to push?

Blinds 500/1000

Hero (15K)
Villian in MP (25K)
Villian in EP (40K)

Hero on button gets A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

EP limps, Villian Calls, <font color="green"> Hero Raises to 6000 </font>, EP folds, Villian calls

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

Hero pushes.....
Old 03-21-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Good time to push?

Given the raise preflop, you're committed to this flop (i.e. push).

You might be committed to almost any flop given that you raised preflop 6/15 of your stack.

Were you trying to take it down right there? I think if you're committing yourself preflop, you might as well push all in.

I personally would just call and see a flop. That or raise all in.

Also I assume Villain checked?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:41 PM

Villian had Position on me...i opened the betting with a push on the flop.

Im a little confused now...i raised only that much so i can get away from the hand if it didn't hit me on the flop, a call here, IMO, i think is a little weak???

This "accumulator" thinking is got me all screwed up....i used to just sit around in MTT and wait for the hands and now im trying to learn the "other side of the fence" because i feel that its alot stronger poker.

Help with this dilemma please?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:43 PM

Well, more than 1/3 of your stack PF, you're committed given how late it seems to be in the tourny. The call is scary, and the board is scary, but the odds favor you to have the best hand.

Of course, I consistently finish on the bubble and by the bubble I mean 25 or 30 players out of the money in a 60 player tournament.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian had Position on me...i opened the betting with a push on the flop.

Im a little confused now...i raised only that much so i can get away from the hand if it didn't hit me on the flop, a call here, IMO, i think is a little weak???

This "accumulator" thinking is got me all screwed up....i used to just sit around in MTT and wait for the hands and now im trying to learn the "other side of the fence" because i feel that its alot stronger poker.

Help with this dilemma please?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that calling with AJ in a five handed game is a weak play. You HAVE to raise pf, but 6x the bb is way too much. You can accomplish the same result with a 3 or 4x raise.

Any raise that is 40% of your stack dictates an auto push all-in anyway (which isn't what you were after). If you want to raise, see a flop, and get away from the hand if need be...raise 3 to 4x the bb.

Pulp