Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 08:52 PM

Default This always smells fishy, what do you do?

Asume no reads, how do you play it?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Guido is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Guido raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Guido calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Guido bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Guido calls.

River: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Guido calls.

Thanks,

Guido
Old 03-20-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: This always smells fishy, what do you do?

wierd

I dunno....prolly the same way

I feel like popping the turn, but thats only going to get him to fold, when I dont want him to....maybe raise the river...but the Ace scares me into just calling
Old 03-20-2005, 09:26 PM

i play it exactly the same with no read.

-DrG
Old 03-20-2005, 10:50 PM

i play it the same. on the whole these guys are to whacky to fold to when you raise them on expensive streets and then they fire back so i just let them bet away.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:51 PM

The usual line I've been taking with a hand like this is to raise the turn and fold to a three bet. Depending on the river, I might be able to make another bet for value, or just check it through. With the A here, I'd most likely just check through. This way you lose at most 2 bets that you would when you're behind, but can make an extra BB when he calls you down. I suppose he could fold to the turn raise, but more often than not he has a hand he likes enough to see a showdown when he bets here.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:56 PM

I raise here every time against an unknown. I usually fold to a 3bet but it depends on the board. I think raising here is by FAR better in the 10/20.

-Mike
Old 03-21-2005, 01:47 AM

Dunno if this is a good idea, but what about checking the flop?

You would avoid a check-raise from AK/AA/KK and encourage QQ/JJ/TT to bet turn. You're not going to get rid of BB anyway (unless you get check-raised).

It's not a good plan if you are looking to fold to a turn bet after getting check-raised. But if you'd like a good chance to showdown for 2 BB, it may make sense.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:41 AM

Most of the time a 3-bet and checking the flop means a fishy play and he has a big hand. QQ/JJ/TT don't check the flop. I did bet the flop because I could very well have the best hand and I was hoping to get a cheap showdown. When he called I was thinking about taking a free card on the turn and not risking a check-raise because I really want a showdown. Because he suddenly bets out, I just called it down to be shown pocket 3's. I always seem to fall for this fishy plays even though I know he has hit hard...

Thanks,

Guido
Old 03-21-2005, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The usual line I've been taking with a hand like this is to raise the turn and fold to a three bet. Depending on the river, I might be able to make another bet for value, or just check it through. With the A here, I'd most likely just check through. This way you lose at most 2 bets that you would when you're behind, but can make an extra BB when he calls you down. I suppose he could fold to the turn raise, but more often than not he has a hand he likes enough to see a showdown when he bets here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would much prefer to call turn and raise river. If he is on a bluff you will win 1 more BB. If he has a better hand then you it will be a smaller chance he will 3bet, because raising river is stronger then raising turn. And if he is ahead on turn u will often have 5 outs to beat him (AA or AK for example) and if he 3bets turn and u fold u will not have them.

Only real good reason (?) to raise turn if u think he is on a draw. Some players will bet on turn if they catch a draw and got overcard(s). But without a read I would say they normally not.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:14 AM

I think you guys all want to put too many chips into the pot when, as Guido has pointed out, any sequence that involves a flop threebettor checking, especially not in position, means that one pair is just not a good hand.

And even if one pair is the best hand and he has QQ or something, why would we want to give him the opportunity to fold the turn (this is to JrJordan, not you)?

-Michael