Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 11:09 PM

Default How To Save $40

Guy comes over from a broken game. He waits for the cut-off and posts. I tell him he doesn't have to post if he's from a broken game, he can come in behind the button for free. He takes back his four chips without saying a word. I saved him $40.

It's my big blind. All fold to him and he limps. He has A-x. He always limps from late position with A-x, even from the button. He won't raise with it; anything else he raises or folds. Small blind calls and I knuckle with 6-4.

Flop comes A-A-3. Check, check, he bets, small blind folds, I fold.

What goes around comes around. I saved me $40 too.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: How To Save $40

How did you telling him he didn't have to post save you 40 dollars on that flop? Were you planning on calling if he hadn't posted anyway? I'm not sure I understand [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2005, 11:42 PM

It's nice to be nice.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:02 AM

I think he means normally he bluffs at that pot against a limper.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you telling him he didn't have to post save you 40 dollars on that flop? Were you planning on calling if he hadn't posted anyway? I'm not sure I understand [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Andy didn't say anything and the guy just checked his option in the cutoff, Andy would not have any idea what the guy held. Since he voluntarily put money in the pot in the cutoff, Andy was able to put him on Ace-rag.

SpaceAce
Old 03-22-2005, 01:57 AM

<font color="red"> How did you telling him he didn't have to post save you 40 dollars on that flop? </font>

After the sb checks, this is a pretty mandatory into the one remaining blind.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:01 AM

But at the same time, a knowledgeable player on the behind the button blind will know that a tough, aggressive player in bb would raise preflop with any ace against 2 blinds that had already checked, and even if for some reason he didn't and he did actually flop trip aces he would check it 99% of time on flop to slowplay/induce action/allow the others to catch something. So he would know the bb betting out on flop is an obvious steal, or value bet w/ k or q high and then he (blind posted behind button) could either raise bluff flop with junk, value raise flop with his own k or q high, or if he was feeling real frisky wait till the turn to make a move. However, the average player, even if he sees exactly what bb is doing would not have the 'balls' to play back at him this way and would probably meekly fold on the flop. It doesn't look like you have to worry about this too much from this player, but if the other two blinds are tough players who would see through you and have the gumption to act on it, this is not necessarily an easy steel opportunity, just because it is 2 aces on board which the preflop check would indicate he didn't have any of, and the propensity of a real trip aces hand to slowplay.

(oh, and by the way, unlike many of the hypothetical "making moves" posts that are posted online in this forum all the time which are completely ridiculous because no sane player would try it and it wouldnt work anyways, this type of situation comes up frequently in live LA brown (and to a lesser extent yellow) chip games.)