Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 06:01 PM

Default To raise or not to raise....

I know this is a tourney hand, but I thought posting it here would be ok, since my question has nothing to do with the fact that im in a tourney.

Party Poker Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind t200 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t7943)
MP3 (t3330)
CO (t80)
Button (t8075)
SB (t5455)
BB (t7668)
UTG (t6207)
Hero (t1104)
MP1 (t955)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB, t1800) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, hero...

Should I not raise here? Since I am either way ahead or way behind, I figured I could just let button and SB get in cheap if they want. That way if I am way behind, I save myself a bet or two and if I am way ahead I can gain myself some bets through the overcalls. Is that logical?
Old 03-19-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: To raise or not to raise....

anyone?
Old 03-19-2005, 07:30 PM

The fact that you're in a tourney does play into this. In a regular ring game, I could see waiting to raise the turn. However, in this situation, you're short-stacked, you'd have committed more than half your stack to the pot even if you just called the flop bet, and winning the pot right here and now would more than double you up. There's no shame at all in having the field fold behind you...and I think they're less likely to do so than normal, because you are short-stacked &amp; presumably desperate with the blinds bearing down on you.

If someone has the 4 that's tough luck, but I can't see you folding your hand at any point anyway with your chip situation. So get it all in while it's more likely someone will stick around with a K + lower kicker or a pocket pair.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:38 PM

Since no one else has replied, here goes:

I would raise. I don't "think" the way ahead/behind line is applicable here with 4 players still in the hand. Even though the board is drawless, with 9SB in the pot, I want raise to maximize my chances of winning. I certainly don't want to give someone (with say a small pocket pair) a cheap shot to draw out.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:50 PM

but I thought posting it here would be ok, since my question has nothing to do with the fact that im in a tourney.

It has everything to do that you played the hand in a tournament.

I did not read the hand.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:51 PM

Harv,

Excellent response.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:08 PM

I see what you mean about wanting to get my money in there right away, and I guess since its a tourney, and I lose this hand im eliminated I should probably stick to the safer bet of limiting the field. But this same situation in a ring game, would you let them in, or still make the raise?

Thanks for the responses, btw.