Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Asking father for bankroll

I have been playing poker off and on for the past 9 months or so depositing and cashing out when I feel necessary. I never put in more then 100 bucks at a time because I enjoy building my bankroll from scratch(yes I bust quite a few times).

In the past month I have deposited once(50.00) and right now I have no bankroll. My dad was afraid I was going to lose the money I had in my account so he cashed everything(7,400) out except 100.00 which I lost 5 days ago and haven’t played since. This is the longest I have been without playing poker in a LONG time. It feels good knowing I am not totally addicted though.

What could I do to make him feel it is a good investment to give me 30 buy-ins at the 50/5 level so I can start playing for real...not just recreationally? I am willing to do any such as log all the hours I study and that I play and send them to him, etc.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-17-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Asking father for bankroll

How old are you?
Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What could I do to make him feel it is a good investment to give me 30 buy-ins at the 50/5 level so I can start playing for real...not just recreationally?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I never put in more then 100 bucks at a time because I enjoy building my bankroll from scratch

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious here, but wouldn't the easiest way to inspire confidence in your play be to actually succeed at building a self-sufficient bankroll instead of busting out and redepositing a lot?

Many of us on the boards started with a single small deposit and have worked at building it up gradually starting at the nanolimits. I have a lot of good things to say about this approach, since it teaches you bankroll management and your poker skills can gradually improve as you move up in limits. You can also be somewhat confident in your ability to beat each game before moving up to a harder one, since you necessarily can't move up until you've shown sufficiently successful play to be staked at the new level.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:06 PM

No no no no no... I do not bust my bankroll after I get over the first hump(playing 10/1 tournaments with 50.00 or 100.00)

I always cash my bankroll out after a while to cushion my bank account.

The thing is when I have built my bankroll in the past I haven’t kept stats which is a problem.

PS: I am 18. My dad currently takes care of my $ which means I do not have 1650 in my bank account right now. I have invested about 20,000 in stocks(from poker) in the past year and want to settle down on a certain buy-in.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:11 PM

Why do I not believe this at all?
Old 03-17-2005, 07:13 PM

If you've busted quite a few times, then you need to work on bankroll management.

I have a deal with my wife. I deposited $50 way back in October, with the understanding that when it's gone, it's gone. As long as you have your Dad for a crutch, you won't be able to manage your bankroll responsibly. I only have myself as a crutch, and I've withdrawn about $1700 for expenses and still have 600BB for the limit I'm playing at.

Go get a part time job. Mow lawns, deliver pizza, get a paper route. Take the $$ you get from that and build a bankroll that way. Keep the money from your job to spend.

Dedicate yourself to your bankroll. Protect it. Withdraw nothing from your bankroll and never play with less than 300BB. Play each limit until you have 600BB for the next level. It's slow, but if you play well, it works. If you have the need to remove money from your roll, then you'll probably have to move down in limits. You'll have to decide which is more important.

Lastly, get a sticky note and write: "When it's gone, it's gone." and stick it on the top of your monitor.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:17 PM

You haven't played poker for 5 days and you feel that's an accomplishment? Someone needs a reality check. I'll give you a tip from an ex-smoker: 5 days is nothing if you have an addiction to something.

As for your other problem, don't ask your dad to stake you. You've busted out a couple times already no matter what your previous record is. Do it yourself, and quit asking for handouts.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is when I have built my bankroll in the past I haven’t kept stats which is a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your problem is that you can't keep a bankroll.

Repeatedly having to build your bankroll should suggest that this is your problem. Your stats might tell you how well you play (or not), but bankroll is very straightforward. You need to have a certain number of buy-ins in your bankroll in order to minimize the chance of going broke. If you are a bad player, then no bankroll is big enough.

Just because you "want" to play at a certain level, doesn't mean you have the bankroll to do so.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:21 PM

ZebraAss would u be interested in being staked by me at all? I have pondered the idea of staking someone but the oppurtunity never arose. I would be willing to stake you under ceratin guidlines and would be able to adequately bankroll you for the 50+5 level. I have read many of your posts in the single table forum and I am pretty confident you can beat this limit.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your problem is that you can't keep a bankroll.

Repeatedly having to build your bankroll should suggest that this is your problem. Your stats might tell you how well you play (or not), but bankroll is very straightforward. You need to have a certain number of buy-ins in your bankroll in order to minimize the chance of going broke. If you are a bad player, then no bankroll is big enough.

Just because you "want" to play at a certain level, doesn't mean you have the bankroll to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that a problem if I cashout my bankroll and willingly start over with 50.00 a week later.