Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 AM

Default AK, how aggro here

A lot of draws on that board, although now that I think about it he openraised so really not that many draws on the board for him. What's standard here, checking behind turn and calling a river bet, beting turn and folding to a raise? I can't see how my line is correct.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.66 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.83 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.83 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.83 BB
Old 03-16-2005, 05:19 AM

Default Re: AK, how aggro here

How often do you think you're ahead after a turn check raise? You clearly dont have the odds to win UI, especially because you could be reverse dominated, but the fact that you're good a % of the time here, and may improve a % of the time here might make this into a call down.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:23 AM

If you're planning on calling a river bet unimproved, then 3 bet the turn. Unless your opponent is capable of capping with less then AA you get a free showdown and can fold to the cap. You might even get another AK to give up his half of the pot...

lf
Old 03-16-2005, 05:30 AM

I'm curious what people will have to say here because this situation comes up a lot and on the turn I just choose a plan at random.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:30 AM

Would he make this checkraise on the turn without at least top pair ?

I think you can safely fold it.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:31 AM

if youre going to bet the turn, then you fold to the checkraise. if youre afraid that he may checkraise bluff, then you check the turn and call the river.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:04 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

aggressive calling?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:55 PM

I hate this line. People overvalue AK when they miss theyr'e flop. On most occasions I have made it standard to check behind the flop with position if I miss the board with AK, especially in this case when the opponent open raised. You might have saved two bets if you checked because I'm sure his PP took it down. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if youre going to bet the turn, then you fold to the checkraise. if youre afraid that he may checkraise bluff, then you check the turn and call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:25 PM

Maybe my understanding of these 15/30 games is way off, but I think you are ahead a large percentage of the time when you get check-raised here. Maybe it is less than 50%, but your hand will win unimproved or improve on the river enough times that your call down with AK should be profitable. You are getting about 9:2 effective odds and you are definitely going to win at least 20% of the time.

I don't think you can take a standard line here. It would be wrong to always check the turn and call a river bet or always fold to the turn check-raise. You need to do what makes the most money against that opponent.