Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Two hands with Second Pair Party 1/2

Unfortunately, I cant beat the party 1/2 six max, and just seem totally lost on half the hands.

Curious for comments on the play of two hands where i have 2nd pair.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, CO folds.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (4.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 4.75 BB

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, CO folds.

Turn: (3 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: 5 BB
Old 03-14-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Two hands with Second Pair Party 1/2

bet the river in Hand 2.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:45 PM

I'd check the river in hand 2 without a read that villain will call down with a low PP. I don't see anything besides maybe QT or T9 that will call hero's bet. Check-call to try and induce a bluff from the worse hands that have made it this far and try to save a bet from the jack that paired up on the turn and just wants to see a showdown.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:38 PM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd check the river in hand 2 without a read that villain will call down with a low PP. I don't see anything besides maybe QT or T9 that will call hero's bet. Check-call to try and induce a bluff from the worse hands that have made it this far and try to save a bet from the jack that paired up on the turn and just wants to see a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
A bet on the river (from villain) makes it more likely we're beat. The game is real passive. If you are going to call a bet, you might as well bet the river.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bet on the river (from villain) makes it more likely we're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what this has to do with it. In any game and any situation when you are trying to induce a bluff,

if he checks- it is more likely than before you are ahead
if he bets- it is more likely than before you are behind

only because he will almost always bet his hand when he is ahead, but will not always bet it when he is behind.

The only thing that matters when deciding to bet or check the river is the number of hands he will call with that you beat and the chance he'll bet to try to steal the pot with a worse hand.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Hand 1: I'd fold pf
Hand 2: I'd probably raise pf (especially considering the poster)

anyone else?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:28 PM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A bet on the river (from villain) makes it more likely we're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what this has to do with it. In any game and any situation when you are trying to induce a bluff,

if he checks- it is more likely than before you are ahead
if he bets- it is more likely than before you are behind

only because he will almost always bet his hand when he is ahead, but will not always bet it when he is behind.

The only thing that matters when deciding to bet or check the river is the number of hands he will call with that you beat and the chance he'll bet to try to steal the pot with a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're making my argument for me.

I think you agree with my reasoning for betting against a fish, but you seem to think we're behind more than we're ahead here, or won't get as many bets from weak hands.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 PM

Right, I don't think we'll get bets from weak hands. I just don't see much that you beat calling your bet here.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, I don't think we'll get bets from weak hands. I just don't see much that you beat calling your bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then I think we should check-fold if that is your read (he calls decent on the river), because we're not getting bluffed here. Hope he checks behind, like he did.

If he bets, we're dead.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I think we should check-fold if that is your read (he calls decent on the river)

[/ QUOTE ]

There were no reads listed in the hand- I'm just looking at the board when I say that there does not seem to be much that will call you when you bet. However, that does not mean that you are beat on the river. I am thinking that there is a better chance that you win the hand if he bets than if he calls because he likely won't bet with some hands that have you beat (like a jack) and would call, but you might induce him into betting a hand he knows probably isn't best (and he wouldn't call with) to try to steal the pot.