Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Does anyone not go broke?

Royal Vegas .05/.10 NL. I'm CO+1 with about $10, villain is CO with $14.

Preflop: Two limpers to me, I limp with 33, villain raises to .30, BB and both limpers call and I call.

Flop (1.55): 2 3 K. Checked to me, I bet $1.50, villain raises to $3, folded to me, I...?

I'll follow up with results although you can probably guess. Thanks -DP
Old 03-15-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Does anyone not go broke?

I go broke with a set on this flop everytime. On that flop though, I think you can just call. Then CR the turn, unless there's already two to a flush.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:37 PM

If this is set over set where the preflop raiser has KK, then you're going broke and so is everybody else, I think, that gets your cards in this hand.

However, the more interesting question is what is the best play in your position to get the MOST money out of your villain when he has TPTK? If you reraise all in immediately, a good player might want to lay down TPTK. Maybe not at the small stack sizes in this hand, but with deeper stacks betting your set, getting reraised with TPTK, what is the best NEXT play here to get the MOST money in.

Is it to reraise right away? Or, call, then check the turn? Or bet the turn? That is the most interesting thing about this situation. What is the best play, results not withstanding, to get your re-raiser to put as much money in the pot as possible.

Albert
Old 03-15-2005, 09:53 PM

I popped it up another $2.50, planning to push my remaining $3 on any turn, and he called. Turn is blank, I push, he calls and shows KK.

I knew he was a terrible player from a hand I had seen earlier, so I figured he would never lay down AK or KQ to my flop reraise and then he would be stuck for the remaining $3. With two streets left there would probably have been a better way to get the money in, but I'm pretty sure my line would have gotten the job done against his TP.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:41 PM

Set over set happens, and in NL you're going to lose your stack. Nothing you can do.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:38 PM

If this player was at all good, I would smooth-call the flop and get the rest in on the turn. However, if he's the type to die with his hand, then just push the flop.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:14 PM

I'm going broke here 110% of the time. You're goint to run into AK or AA here way too often to lay this down.