Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 04:04 PM

Default TPTK raised on turn

Party 100 NL. Villain (30/13) and I have $100.

I find A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG +1 and raise to $5. All fold to villain in late position who calls.

Flop (2 players) is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet out $10, Villain calls.

Turn (2 players) is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet out $10, Villain raises to $20, I call.

River (2 players) is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, Villain bets $25, I call.

Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: TPTK raised on turn

30/13 (at least to me) doesn't suggest he'll call your PFR with an 67s/A6s (or worse 6x hand). Do you have any additions to that read? e.g. have you seen him chasing preflop raises with Axs? How aggressive is he postflop? So unless he has AA, 66 or 22 I think you're safe. How deep are the stacks? CAlling the turn/river bets needs more info than just his VPIP/PFR.

If you're going to bet (and I would) on the turn, it needs to be bigger. He's already shown he'll call a $10 bet, and betting that little again shows weakness. Go for 1/2-3/4 pot (I lean toward 3/4 here). By betting 1/3pot you're giving him odds to call if he's chasing the flush, and may induce a bluffraise. Betting $20 makes it 1) improper for him to call on a flush draw (which I'm using as an example, no reason to say he has it) and 2) might make him fold right there.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:06 PM

The stacks are 100x BB. I have no other reads on him.

Agreed the turn bet is awful. I just wanted to keep the pot small w/ TPTK.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:13 PM

If there wasn't a limper behind you I would only raise to $4 preflop here (standard)...

your flop bet looks okay, you might want to bet $11.50 (full pot)... but it doesn't change his odds too much if he's drawing on the flush to you.

His late position call pf is likely to be a small PP, or Ax

I would bet more on the turn, half pot seems too small in this situation. 2 pair, top kicker... Make it $15 at least.. If he raises that, I consider all other facotrs, reads.. etc. then likely fold. Thinking he has a 6 (possibly some suited connectors pf) or 22... There is also a good chance he is on AK too so previous reads are important here...

If you get to the river playing the way I mentioned above then I grit my teeth and check here. If he bets out more than 1/3 the pot, I fold.. otherwise I call.

Comments?
Old 03-12-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you get to the river playing the way I mentioned above then I grit my teeth and check here. If he bets out more than 1/3 the pot, I fold.. otherwise I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

or fire a blocking bet of 1/3 pot and fold to re-raise
Old 03-12-2005, 11:34 PM

Any chance that villain is on K6s? It's not unlikely that he would at least see the flop with that (especially since you don't have a read on him and don't know how loose he's playing). If so, he would have hit two pair on the flop and could very likely be putting you on on TPTK based on your PFR, etc.

Just a thought.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:44 PM

Given the way you played this, I think you call the river here. However, I would have bet bigger (pot size) on the turn.

Bob
Old 03-13-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Results

Thanks for the comments, guys.

He flipped over 22 and took a good chunk of money. I think either checking the turn or betting 2/3 pot and folding to a raise is correct.

TPTK is so tough out of position.

Ryan