Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 11:56 PM

Default KK hand - river overcall on threatening board.

UTG is solid, possible 2+2er. BB unknown.

3-bet the flop? My original plan was to raise the turn if a baby came or the board paired.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
Old 03-13-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Re: KK hand - river overcall on threatening board.

Thats the kind of stuff thats giving me ulcers. Seems like yer call is good on the turn for a few reasons. Maybe yer getting raised by two pair, which the 9 bailed u out of, u got the gutshot, the king for trips, and maybe u got the best hand. maybe a fold aint all bad either as you are prolly gonna have to face calling another bet on the rio,.....seems like these decisions are the ones that makes the money....pass the pepto
Old 03-13-2005, 04:34 AM

You must 3-bet the flop because it his three handed on a very draw heavy board. you need to isolate UTG even if you are behind in the hand a good amount of the time, which you most likely, won't be. Smooth calling the flop and letting BB get in for only 1 more bet is a big mistake IMO.

I prefer to only call, and check raise the turn when it is heads-up, and the board is less draw heavy, because you don't want to give free cards on a draw heavy board.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:37 AM

Raise the turn to isolate you and UTG, you are still most likely ahead. You don't want BB to have to pay only 1 BB on a draw heavy board when you have a vulnerable hand such a an overpair. You played this hand too passively on the flop and turn.

As it turned out BB probably had a big hand anyways, but in the long run you are savign yourself a BB or two sometimes, but end up losing a BIG POT once in a while, which adds up to A VERY BAD THING.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Results...

UTG shows QQ
BB has A7 and proceeds to have every bet called for the next hour.

MHIG.

In retrospect, 3-betting the flop is clearly superior to just calling. My thought process was that this seemed like the TT example from SSHE's "Two Overpair Hands" section, in that there are a lot of draws that though I'm probably ahead now, if the turn doesn't suck, I have much greater pot equity. The turn sucked, so I slowed down...
Old 03-13-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Results...

[ QUOTE ]
My thought process was that this seemed like the TT example from SSHE's "Two Overpair Hands" section, in that there are a lot of draws that though I'm probably ahead now, if the turn doesn't suck, I have much greater pot equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I am totally misrembering that chapter, the TT hand is much different from this one.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because you don't want to give free cards on a draw heavy board.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's not checking behind on the flop. BB has already paid one and will most likely pay two.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:11 PM

I am going to go out on a limb and say you misplayed the flop, turn and river.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:17 PM

I agree on the first two, but once we got there, what else can I do on the river? Pots too big to fold, but can't raise that board can I?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:42 PM

Ahh, well agreed. Given what you failed to do previously, the river "made sense".

But personally, if you ask me, the 9 is a great card for you (JT is toast). I would then consider putting a bit more money in, but you have absolutely no idea where you stand so check/call in that setting is ok.