Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Prairie Meadows in Altoona

Planning on playing holdem this weekend, just wondering what the tables are like at prairie meadows, havn't been there before, I think they offer 3/6- 6/12 plus a pl 5/10 game. Anybody know what it's like on the weekend?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Prairie Meadows in Altoona

I was playing the 6/12 at Meskwaki in Tama last Saturday and someone mentioned they had a 15/30 going at Praire Meadows. I've never been there, so I can't tell you much more than that.

Regards,

T
Old 03-08-2005, 12:30 AM

Prairie Meadows is a very nice small card room. 9 tables right now, with 3/6 - 4/8 - 6/12 - a 5/10 PL - and occasionally a 15/30 HE or a 4/8 O8. Last weekend I waited 2+ hours for a 6/12 seat on Friday night and about an hour mid-Saturday afternoon. They usually only spread one 6/12 table, so you'll get on quicker if you're willing to play 3/6 or 4/8. I'll be there this weekend playing 6/12.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:47 AM

How are you tables there? I've played at canterbury and found it to be very soft, can I expect about the same?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:17 AM

There is a very canterbury like feel to the Prairie Meadows poker room. A couple of the guys that helped get it going came from Canterbury.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Planning on playing holdem this weekend, just wondering what the tables are like at prairie meadows, havn't been there before, I think they offer 3/6- 6/12 plus a pl 5/10 game. Anybody know what it's like on the weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]

The PL game actually starts as 15/30 IIRC, but can be kicked up to 5/10PL if/when all the participants agree. Sometimes they'll make the PL side a HE/Omaha rotation. It's the same 7-8 guys every weekend, and if you're from the midwest you'll recognize them from the Lakeside games.

Weekends generally have 4 3/6 games, 3 4/8 games, a 6/12 and the PL game going - and right now, it'll always be all 9 tables going full throttle. Sometimes they'll rotate in an O/8 game, usually 4/8 half-kill. Stud hasn't been spread since opening day - the jackpot was seeded at $500 . . . it's at $512 right now, no winners.

The 3/6 games are usually very good - 6+ to a flop, no respect for raises, a good mix of drunks, old guys, random wanders/regulars who suck, and etc. On weekends, the lists can run 30 to 40 deep, though - even w/ 4 tables, this can cycle slow.

The 4/8 games vary wildly - sometimes they are absolute rock gardens, and other times they are true things of beauty, with racks littering the floor. Be aware - the best time to play is when the 3/6 lists are deep, as often jokers will run to the 4/8 lists hoping to get on faster. On a recent thursday night, I sat at 4/8 and knew everyone at the table - obviously not good. Lots of the old regulars from Tama have moved down to Des Moines and sit 4/8. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the 4/8 Omaha bleeds some of the money away as well.

I've never sat 6/12 - lists are often long, though, especially with one table. The game often appears to vary similarly to 4/8, but some of the more LAG regulars love that game, thinking that they can escape the 'bad play' below and get respect for raises. I've seen it pretty rowdy while observing.

If you're into Omaha, the usual 4/8 game is hit or miss . . . sometimes you'll be lost in a sea of regulars, and sometimes it's 10 to the flop. Selection is key, as per usual.

PM is a solid room, though - some dealers are not fantastic, but Lance and some others from Lakeside are starting to head to where the money is, which really is helping at peak times. You'll have fun- I think I'll be there at some point on Thursday and Friday - I'm a young-looking kid and usually have on a WVU beanie or a white Hurley stocking cap, give a 'sup bro' or something about tackles for a loss and we'll fire at will.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:14 PM

I pretty much only play the 6/12 at Prairie Meadows - and I'll be there this Friday and Saturday. Will also respond to a sup bro...mid 20's - I-pod - Central College hat.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:01 PM

Thanks for your help, Central college huh? I'm actualy from Pella Myself. Wont be at the tables until midnight though....21st b'day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The good news for you is i'm bringing several friends who are all pretty fishy.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:29 PM

Klompy - Check your PM
Old 03-11-2005, 08:00 PM

Has anybody been to Lakeside since Prairie Meadows opened? I wondered if they still had $2-4 or how the weekly tournamnet was.