Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Deepish PP NL $400 Slowplay AA top set

Villain is 68% VPIP, 20% PFR, almost always with position, and has only paid me off once on a big hand all night. He has been massively bluffing/semibluffing and making pure positional bets on all streets all night. I would like to hear postflop analysis.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($627)
BB ($239.3)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($1434.4)</font>
MP ($434.4)
<font color="#C00000">CO :#A500AF(GoodPostflopLAG)/ ($1538.98)</font>
Button ($287.1)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO :#A500AF(GoodPostflopLAG)/ calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($14) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GoodPostflopLAG raises to $20</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $100</font>, GoodPostflopLAG calls $80.

Turn: ($214) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $180</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GoodPostflopLAG raises to $500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1330.4 (All-In)</font>, GoodPostflopLAG calls $830.40.

River: ($2874.80) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $2874.80
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $2874.80, between Hero and GoodPostflopLAG.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by GoodPostflopLAG ($2874.80).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has As Ac (three of a kind, aces).
GoodPostflopLAG has Kc Tc (straight, ace high).
Outcome: GoodPostflopLAG wins $2874.80. </font>
Old 03-09-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Deepish PP NL $400 Slowplay AA top set

His turn raise should have rang bells in your head. You reraise his flop raise and he called, meaning he has a great draw and isn't going anywhere. When he raises your turn bet, he's telling you he hit that draw, KT of clubs instantly came to mind while reading the post. Although that hand was real sneaky cuz he hit his best card, a non-club Q. You have to call the turn and make a crying call on the river if the bet is reasonable.

Hard not to lose your stack on this one. But I would rather call off my money here than push in on the turn. Let him keep betting his two pair or lower set if that's what he has. Your all in makes worse hands fold and better hands call.

Tough beat.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:43 AM

I forgot to mention that a min-raise on that type of board is almost always a free-card attempt for the turn if he missed. You were correct to reraise and he was correct to call. I would have led the turn bigger too since another broadway card on the river would be disgusting for your hand. But again, very hard to get away from this one on the turn.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:56 AM

Is he folding a smaller set here?
Old 03-09-2005, 02:58 AM

Suck out on the river.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:22 PM

I think the phase "you'll only get called by a better hand and a worse hand will fold" is one of the most overused cliches in poker.
People call my big bets all the time with 2 pair when I have a set. They call big bets all the time with a set when I have a straight. Ect...

This guy is a lag and dosent have to have a straight here. He could easily have 2 pair or a lower set.

Tough hand, but I think it was played fine.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:56 AM

Okay, I read ahead and know you lost.

The only thing I can say is the raise on the turn to 500 represented 1/3 of their stack and a hand of some sort. The push seems okay because you just can't call, and a fold doesn't seem appropriate and you can fill up. You got unlucky because you put him on a flush draw, but not a gut too. You got all your money in when you had outs, thats a positive.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:09 AM

very similar hand for me aaa vs strt on the turn, smoothed called flop when i hit my set and raised all in on turn but was too late. total pot $165 I feel youre pain(just not nearly as much)
Old 03-10-2005, 12:27 PM

Hi Warlock,

In the heat of the hand, it's hard to think things through sometimes, especially if you multi-table which I think you do:

Our villain here can't have JJ, 66, QQ or AJ obviously because if he's a 20 PFR% he's going to raise with those BTF. So set-over-set is ruled out here as is top 2 pair.

You have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], which also rules out a nut-flush draw for him.

So you should have easily narrowed down the LAG's hand to a flush draw, with a potential flush/straight draw. KT, KQ and any club are potential danger holdings in villain's hand.

On the flop, villain min-raises. When you hold top set and have figured to isolate off villain from the hands above, you should smell that he is ultimately trying t build a bigger pot. He knows you have something, you should know he has a draw.

On the flop you played it correct. You must re-raise. Build the pot.

The turn bet is also a must, but facing a POT size raise now, I would seriously slow down here and take some time to think about villain's hand (which I know isn't much time given Party's 20 second time limit)

Your opponent knows you have a very strong hand. You should also know he can't bluff, semi-bluff you off with a Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], maybe he might pull off a move like that if he feels there's good fold equity with his raise.

You know he's a good post flop player, even if he's a lag. Now what does he think of you based on your play?

I would probably just call his turn raise, but even then I might have to consider whether or not I'll get paid off on the river provided I hit my full house. Also you must consider the fact that you will very much be pot committed on the river costing you $1200 when the pot is only at $400 and you are quite likely beat.

No one ever saying laying down top set or any set is easy. But you have to know how your opponent plays. You know your opponent semi-bluffs, bluffs often enough and this turn card makes a semi bluff into a real hand. A good LAG knows when to back off and when to apply pressure. You've shown pressure and he's not backing off which should ultimately send warning signals off in your head.

Anyways, tough hand, tough beat and as I mentioned all is easier said here when your not in the heat of the moment. So you did what you could during the hand. Better luck next time.

Lawrence
Old 03-10-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KT of clubs instantly came to mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Right after I pushed the all in button, KTclubs flashed in my head. I think I scared the dog yelling, "Pair the board."

Thanks for all the thoughts. Initially, I thought this was the worst play I've made in months online, but I've revised it to bad, but not horrible.

Thanks Lawrence, great analysis as always.