Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Looking for Critiques on 2 hands....

Ok, first hand. I'm new to the table so I only have 1 orbit of information and couldnt' really pick anything useful up. I'm dealt Jacks, it's folded to me, I open raise about 6x the big blind and get 3 callers. Great flop for me! UTG checks, I make a 4 dollar bet and both Villain and UTG call. This kind of stumps me, and here I think I'm behind in the hand. On the turn UTG checks to me again, and expecting the possibility of a check raise, I decide to just check and so does Villain. On the river UTG moves all in, I decide to call here and then villain reraises all in. I call his all in, but probably shouldn't have. How would you have played it?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">UTG ($14.55)</font>
UTG+1 ($44.45)
MP1 ($22.3)
MP2 ($17.65)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($37.2)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Villain ($25)</font>
Button ($37.82)
SB ($63.87)
BB ($24.75)

Preflop: Villain posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.6</font>, Villain calls $1.35, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $1.35, UTG calls $1.35.

Flop: ($6.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, Villain calls $4, BB folds, UTG calls $4.

Turn: ($18.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, Villain checks.

River: ($18.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero calls $8.95, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $17.9</font>, Hero calls $8.95.

Final Pot: $54.30

Second hand: It's folded around to me in the small blind with KQ hearts, and think about raising here, but I just want to play the hand so I elect to call. Not too surprising, he mini raises me and I call. Really nice flop for me here, 2 clubs on the board... I bet the pot here, her raises it up to $2. Curious play here, I can't imagine he has me beat, a reraise probably would have been my best option to see where I was at in the hand, but I decide to just call. Turn comes 4 hearts I check here and he bets 4.75. Now I'm thinking and have him on a range of hand AA,KK,QQ,AQ,5s,2s. Now here I should have just dropped the hand, but I listen to the devil on my shoulder instead of the angel. On the river comes a king, to my good fortune. I move in and he calls me. Tell me what you think

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 ($19.4)
CO ($26.5)
Button ($21.2)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($24.75)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Villain ($37)</font>
UTG ($11.1)
UTG+1 ($5.35)
MP1 ($67.92)
MP2 ($30.45)

Preflop: SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $0.25</font>, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($5) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $4.75</font>, Hero calls $4.75.

River: ($14.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain calls $17.50.

Final Pot: $32
Old 03-07-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Looking for Critiques on 2 hands....

Let me see your sexy body go bump bump bump
Old 03-07-2005, 06:03 PM

It looks like the converter messed up. You should include something like:

Hero has J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] so people don't read through a paragraph of info. You'll get more responses that way.

1st hand:

Anyway, 1st hand. Cards you don't want to see are a 3, 8, or a 6 . Also, maybe one of these guys played 7 5 or 9 7 . God only knows.

Why did you check on the turn ? Put in at least another 2/3 pot bet . Only draw I really see is a straight draw. That 9 could have made his straight if he plays crazy cards so if you get raised there you have to drop. When that 3 hit on the river , you bet which is ok but when he raises you have to fold that. A 2/3 pot bet on the turn will get rid of anyone with a 3 .

So Flop is OK. 2/3 pot bet on turn if you get raised drop it and then another bet on the river provided no 8 hits.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:14 PM

2nd hand:

Oh man. I believe Villain has A A here. It looks like an example of the Bunching Theory. 7 folds....BB has AA . I like betting $2 on flop to let him know you have top pair. If he raises, you should fold here. KK , AQ , AA, all have you beat . After the raise, you have to think that you could be on the draw. I can't blame you for the way you played it. Villain just minimum raises preflop. He only minimum raised you on the flop.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:19 PM

First hand: as much as you probably don't like jacks and would like to pick up the blinds, raise less preflop.

Once on the flop, they might be reading you for AK since these overbets are usually JJ or AK (hands all beginner - intermediate SSNL players hate to play), so their calls don't scare me all that much.

On the turn we see not a great card but no reason to think you're beat quite yet. Here's where I start analyzing their holdings based on your experience of how they play hands.

Is TPTK is still a possibility for either of them to be holding (8A, 8K, etc), or TT? Would they check/call with these hands or lead out or check/raise on the flop? Are they willing to call your preflop raise with hands like 8A, 78s, 57s, 89s, 8J, 8K, etc, out of position? Limit the hands they could have and if you're ahead a good deal of the time bet about 1/3 to one half pot and fold to a reraise. I might check if I know them not to be horrible fish (which would limit the holdings they call your raise with quite a bit: you beat only TT, 87s and you're losing to everything else they call your pf raise with).

If i bet the turn, i check the river, fold to a leading bet. If i check the turn I probably fold to a river bet (remember I only check here when I think i'm already behind)

2nd hand: I like it, is the opponent tricky or solid? If solid, I will lead out on the turn (as he wont raise me with anything less than QA) and fold to a reraise. If tricky I take your line let him do the betting.

Not sure how i feel about river push.. what hands call you here? AA? AKs?.. meh ill have to think about it
Old 03-07-2005, 06:22 PM

I'll repost the hand later, the converter wouldn't input villain and hero into the hand so I had to put the names in manually and must have messed a few up. I'll include the paragraph after the hand next time. If you want to know the results of the hand tell me and I'll pm you later