Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 02:20 AM

Default flop the straight flush

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($113.25)
UTG ($82.1)
MP ($104.05)
Hero ($230.9)
Button ($159.35)
SB ($86.5)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Uhhhhhhh.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: flop the straight flush

Well what do the blinds and UTG do?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:22 AM

bet

it's the only way to make a big pot
Old 03-03-2005, 02:27 AM

Flop: ($4) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($4) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, UTG calls $2, Hero calls $2, SB folds.

River: ($10) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, UTG folds, BB folds, Hero raises all in, BB folds.

Final Pot: $13

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Didn't expect much, but I was praying that the BB slowplaying the full house. I figured why not bet it all and hope he caught. What can I say, I got greedy [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 02:30 AM

poorly played, I know. I just dont have much experience flopping the nut straight flush, heh.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:40 AM

Bet it. Hopefully someone will call you down, drawing dead, with the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], or they'll put you on the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise with two pair or a set. Either way, bet the flop.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:47 AM

In ToP, Sklansky talks about an instance where a friend of his slowplayed a flopped straight flush and lost a TON of value against an opponent who had flopped the A high flush. Moral of the story: Never slowplay the absolute nuts, because you could run into another monster.

As for everything else, I think that the best line to take here is always debatable. I played a similar hand where I floped quads with 9Ts and bet out. There was some interesting discussion and you can read it here if you're interested.

I always like leading with monsters because you usually get into situations where you're more likely to get called than bet at, so I always like to lead.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:17 AM

I agree. When you bet, you can have anything. But when you call a bet, what can you have? Basically quads, two overs, or a pocket pair. Not too many other options, right? So someone is going to slow way down unless they have an overpair, and even then, there will be the kernel of doubt. If you bet, you might even find yourself getting raised by someone with an overpair or whatever. Or in the straight flush case, by someone with an ace high flush, or even the bare ace of trump. I think betting is almost always better than checking. Check/call is just very suspicious and is going to make your opponent very wary. Especially when you eventually start betting. Better to start betting right away. Then you can check/raise or whatever to get tricky afterwards if you want.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:06 AM

i think 1/2 pot the flop is good. give them a good price.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:39 AM

This is the kind of hand you will make little to nothing unless someone else really hits it. If someone doesn't have the Ace high flush draw, a set or 2 pair... you can't get much action.

I think if you bet and everyone folds... you weren't likely to make much anyways.

Make small bets, hope you get some callers.

On the river... a smaller raise might have been called. But let's face it, that's a damn scary board for anyone who doesn't have a full house.