Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 03:00 AM

Default More on tipping (story from tonight). Don\'t be like this guy.

Forgive me for starting a new "tipping" thread, but this was something else tonight.

I just got off from dealing a tourney - 44 players, $75 buy in with a max of two $50 rebuys, top 5 places pay. There were 3 other dealers so we started with four 11 player tables.

So, we get down to the final 5 and #4 and #5 bust out on the same hand. #3 busts out shortly thereafter. All three toke us dealers between 5% and 10%. Pretty standard and greatly appreciated.

It's heads up. One guy is a decent player, a nice guy all night and seems to know how to play pretty well (IMHO). The other guy is a fool, a cock to the dealers and obviously learned to play by watching ESPN. Oh yeah, he couldn't have been older than 22 or 23, cap on backwards, sunglasses, repeatedly asking for chip counts when he obviously was either WAY behind or WAY ahead, acting overly dramatic (jaaaaahhhh!)...hilarious. Nothing against the good younger players but jerks like this make you guys look bad.

Anyway, fool finally gets beat by good guy.

Good guy, who came in first, gets $1875 and tokes us $150. Very cool and very appreciated.

Fool, who comes in second, gets $780 and tokes $4. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Yes, $1 for each dealer. That’s 0.005% of what he won. He actually asked around to get change for a $5 bill. The tourney ran about 4 hours, so it works out that he tipped the dealers 25 cents each per hour. I've been stiffed before - no big whoop, but $1 is totally insulting after handing a guy $780.

Please don't be like this guy. Thanks in advance! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: More on tipping (story from tonight). Don\'t be like this guy.

Maybe he thought dealers were getting paid from the service charge? Maybe he was unhappy about getting attitude every time he asked for a chip count and being treated like a punk? You should have someone ask him. Maybe that would shake him to his senses, or at least you'd understand why.

Question, despite getting stiffed by 2nd place, it still sounds like you got tipped about $20 per hour. How do tourneys compare to just dealing ring tables? I'm guessing it's better at ring tables?
Old 02-27-2005, 03:27 AM

How do dealers get paid? What percentage is tips? Do they get a cut of the tourney fees?
Old 02-27-2005, 04:54 AM

At the card room I play at the dealers aren't allowed to mention tipping at all. I once sat a table that hit a bonus and had to brow beat the "winner" to tip the dealer. The only thing a dealer say is whether you did or didn't tip if asked.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:48 AM

I'm just curious but why does it seem like so many people on here are concerned with how much dealers make?

If a dealer is good tip him/her. If not then don't tip them.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:50 AM

If it was me he actually gave the $4 to, I would have asked him what was up...."bad service man?" "we piss you off or something?" or something like that. He gave it to the dealer who was at the table when he busted out. If he had an attitude about my question, I would have said "keep the 4 bucks man". None of us gave him an attitude about his conduct. I see idiots every single day and treat everyone the same for the most part. Maybe it was his first tourney and he had no clue? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Could be i guess.

In general, ring games are much better.

5%-10% toke on a win at a tourney is what I consider a good to generous toke, respectively. I toke 10% when I play. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If I had my preference, I would only deal ring games.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:58 AM

How do dealers get paid?
By the hour, plus tokes. I get $4.00 per hour plus tokes.

What percentage is tips?
The vast majority of what dealers earn is from tokes.

Do they get a cut of the tourney fees?
In most card rooms, no.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:08 AM

What is the standard protocol for tipping the dealers after a tourney? (I'm assuming you tip only if you're in the money.)

They give you the money, then you give the tip to the final table dealer, and expect that he/she equally shares this? Or, should the winner go up to each individual dealer if they're still around? Or some other way? Maybe toss the cash in the air and wink at the cutest cocktail waitress?
Old 02-27-2005, 06:08 AM

I'm just curious but why does it seem like so many people on here are concerned with how much dealers make?

For me, I'm a dealer, so the answer is obvious.

If a dealer is good tip him/her. If not then don't tip them.

Hmmmm. If a waiter/waitress is "not good", do you totally stiff him/her, or just leave a smaller tip than you would for a "good" waiter/waitress?
Old 02-27-2005, 06:11 AM

Dealers should never solicit tokes. Period.