Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 05:39 AM

Default TPGK faces a 3-bet on the flop

Live 4/8 table at Commerce. You know the drill: lots of action, lots of hands like J2o taking down big pots.

I'm in the big brind with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I have a garden-variety LAG to my left who loves playing pots and loves to say "I raise!" He raises.

3 cold-callers, including a sLA-A in MP. I used to think he was a TAG, but then he started cold-calling raises like this and showing down some slightly weak offsuit cards out of position, so now I just think he's sL. But he is thinking, he is decent, and he is aggressive. I call.

Flop comes 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, and I, knowing the LAG will raise to blow away the field, bet out. (Yeah? I figure getting it heads up would rule). He does raise.

But oops. The sLA-A in MP 3-bets it. Folded to me. What say y'all?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: TPGK faces a 3-bet on the flop

If you don't mind the variance I think your hand is worth a threebet preflop. I know it's light but it has value for the same reason this type of hand has value if everyone limps, because they're limping and raising with junk.

There's way too much on this board not to call this guy down here. I would definitely go into check mode but there's too much of a chance he's on a draw.

Sorry, I didn't see that there was another guy in the pot. Cap the flop. Lead the turn. If you get raised on the turn call and fold if you don't improve on the river. Improving includes the 9 pairing.

-Michael
Old 03-02-2005, 06:05 AM

Are there any turn cards you don't lead with if you cap the flop? An ace? A heart? An 8? A 6?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:16 AM

First, depends on whether the guy in between calls. If he doesn't call, I'd probably lead any except perhaps the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], in that order. And I might lead all of those because damn it's easy to fold to a raise, and how do we know he's not going to bet QT if checked to?

This board sucks. There's a ton of stuff that can beat you but even with the threebet back to you there's still too much of a chance you're ahead with this against these opponents. The pot's big now, so getting the third man out is most important, and a coup if he has something like AQ.

If the third man calls and an ace drops I would probably check. I haven't figured out the size of the pot but I would probably call if it went unraised, but if goes check-bet-call and it's up to you, your number of possible outs has gone done at least one, IMO.

-Michael
Old 03-02-2005, 06:19 AM

i'd 3-bet preflop as UTG's hand is almost like a straddle.

given that you didn't, betting into the flop is standard hoping he'd raise, but when its 3-bet back to you, i'm capping and leading the turn.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:21 AM

FWIW, I am 98% sure the guy in between will call a flop cap. He is a LAG and he's already put in 2 small bets on this street, and he open-raised UTG preflop.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:28 AM

Then just calling the flop and leading the turn anyways is an option. That way you get to see if he caps the flop, though I'm not sure it changes anything if he's a nutball.

-Michael
Old 03-02-2005, 06:30 AM

Yeah, he's not really a nutball. He's no maniac. Just a garden-variety LAG. I think the difference is significant, but it's possible we have different definitions and this is semantics.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:30 AM

No, there's a clear difference in meaning. A LAG can be a good player. A maniac can't. CDC straddles the line.

-Michael
Old 03-02-2005, 06:38 AM

So on a scale of 1-10, how horrible is folding when it's two back to me?