Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Scare card on turn vs. Loose-passive

BB is LP. Could have King decue off for all I know.
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ?

Final Pot: 4 BB
Old 03-01-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Scare card on turn vs. Loose-passive

Man, I hate these types of hands. You would really need to know how passive this person is and is he a "thinking" passive player. Any thinking player sees the heart is a scare card and senses weakness in your turn check. If he plays pretty much straight up, and is also passive, I would fold this turn.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:57 AM

I would bet this turn, I have not seen any aggression from him and that card is as scary for him as it is for me. If he raises me, I fold. If he just calls, I probably check call most rivers, unless it is another heart and then I bet. Am I just spewing chips here?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:07 PM

you see he is loose-passive. That makes bet correct and, imo, it's not close. He's passive but anyone in any poker anywhere can bet a scare card when it's checked to them on the turn. Betting the flop and then checkfolding the turn heads up is hideous.
You know he's passive, bet the turn. Because he's passive if he raises that scary card you can feel very comfortable throwing your hand away.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:09 PM

I like that line.

Let's say you bet the turn and he calls. Blanks falls on the river, what's your line?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:13 PM

I hate the turn check and now it puts you in a pretty awkward position. I bet this the entire way no matter what falls on the river. Against a loose passive I lay it down to any raise.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:19 PM

check and call a bet.

This is a classic situation where your opponet will check behind with a lot of hands that beat you, and bet with a lot of hands you beat. If he was on a draw and missed his only hope is to bluff and you snap him off. He'll bet of course if he made his flush or rag two pair or whatever but then it only costs you one BB instead of two, and he'll check behind with a lot of weak kings.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:21 PM

After he calls the flop, I'm check-calling down. Bad position against an overcard and lots of draws. He could be on a straight draw, he could have a King, he could have a flush, he could have a 7 or ten, or he could be bluffing at your weakness.

Unfortunately, your bad position check is forcing a bet, which could mean literally anything. You really have to call down here.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:46 PM

Your right, that turn play is hideous. Thanks for the great advice.