Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Did I play this too tight?

Hi, I am new to this site and think it's great.

Recently, I have been playing what I think is a little tighter game early on in a tourney. This is an example of something I probably would have called, and I am wondering about what you think about me folding this hand pre-flop after the raise from the Button.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

CO (t630)
Button (t770)
Hero (t760)
BB (t635)
UTG (t2775)
UTG+1 (t860)
MP1 (t795)
MP2 (t775)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls t50, MP2 folds.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Did I play this too tight?

Tight. Too tight.

It may be a classic button-steal type raise. Play back. Reraise and make it 160 to go.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:56 PM

What's the buy-in? $5? $10? $200?

I like nuke's advice for higher buy-ins, but I don't like it for say, $10+1. At the most I'd call. I don't care about having 15 chips "stolen" right now.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:52 PM

I would just call here. You are OOP and this isn't really a profitable hand to jam with right now. I don't think you can fold this, but rereaising to 200-250 and dealing with any Q, K, or A in first position is a bad situation. Flat call the 80. If an over card flops, check/fold. If you have an overpair, 90% of the time I'm looking to CR all in.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:11 AM

I like calling at the $100's.

Button made a weird raise - he's not getting anyone to fold with those odds. Unless he's trying to get tricky with something like AA or KK, he's probably not a solid player, and will most likely call a reraise. And even though it's a higher level, who knows what the limpers will call with - there's some pretty bad players there.

The main factor against raising for me is playing this flop OOP. About 50% of the time, the flop's going to have an overcard, which will make it pretty tricky to play.

If I was button, and the raiser was CO, depending on my read of him, it might be a different story.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tight. Too tight.

It may be a classic button-steal type raise. Play back. Reraise and make it 160 to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing classic about it. He's not trying to steal the blinds if he's raising two pre-flop limpers. If it folds around to a player in the CO or Button who makes a raise, then it could be a blind steal. This is definitley not that.

OP, you've gotta fold. You are sandwiched between a raiser and two people who were willing to limp in, and you're playing a low buy-in tournament in the early rounds. If you call the bet and then either of the pre-flop limpers re-raise, then what do you do? If either (or both) of the pre-flop limpers call, then you're now playing JJ for set value. Fold, save yourself some chips.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you've gotta fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you are pathologically tight. You're folding the 4th best hand in holdem for 65 chips. This smallish-but-not-minimum raise is so very unlikely to be a higher pair.

[ QUOTE ]
If you call the bet and then either of the pre-flop limpers re-raise, then what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

What say we cross that bridge when we come to it?

[ QUOTE ]
If either (or both) of the pre-flop limpers call, then you're now playing JJ for set value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because JJ NEVER wins unimproved for you because you're so damn unlucky?

And even if you were playing entirely for set value, so what? Your implied odds for the set are gigantic. If you told me both limpers would call I'd call pairs a lot lower than JJ here.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:56 AM

You are right I am pathologically tight, and I can count on you and curtains disagreeing with me any time a hand comes up like this. I just don't want to play JJ in, what could end up being, a 4-way pot. With one player who has already shown strength. I live in a pessimistic world where every limper holds an A, K or Q, or pocket 10s, or 9s.

The basis of my argument was really more about thinking this was a "classic blind steal." I realize that there are others that have a much higher value of JJ than I do, and turn a profit with it. I just remember from my days as a limit player how everybody hated to play pocket Jacks because they always seemed to get in trouble with them.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Pushing Too Hard with Bad Larrys

Read the whole thread. Comedy gold.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:13 AM

Suitedsixes, I'm sorry but is your new skirt a size 4 or 6?

Insert 'this is why you learn to play postflop' rant here.