Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 01:50 AM

Default 88 shorthanded (some content)

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 3 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Button posts a blind of $1.
SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button (poster) folds, SB calls.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, SB checks.

I planned to bet the river if anything other than an Ace fell. If an ace fell, it was check/call.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB has 7c 6d (two pair, jacks and sevens).
Hero has 8c 8h (two pair, jacks and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 6.50 BB. </font>

The following conversation ensued:

PartyFish: y would ustay in if im raising
EntityAT: because I didn't believe you had anything.
icup124: y
EntityAT: I saw a tell.

Normally I just ignore them, but I was leaving the table (bedtime). I mean, what else can I say?

I love Party Poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 10-14-2004, 02:05 AM

Default Re: 88 shorthanded (some content)

3-bet the flop and lead the turn

Your hand is more often than not good on the flop, but what about those times this fish gets tricky and checks behind on the turn? NOT good
Old 10-14-2004, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet the flop and lead the turn

Your hand is more often than not good on the flop, but what about those times this fish gets tricky and checks behind on the turn? NOT good

[/ QUOTE ]
Then I bet the river and call a raise.

Without a read on this guy (he had just sat down, seemed reasonable before this hand), do you 3-bet and lead? I went into my way ahead / way behind line, where I want him to keep bluffing if I'm ahead, and want to see a showdown cheapy if I'm behind. Is 88 not strong enough here for that line?

Rob
Old 10-14-2004, 02:22 AM

Without a read on this guy (he had just sat down, seemed reasonable before this hand), do you 3-bet and lead? I went into my way ahead / way behind line, where I want him to keep bluffing if I'm ahead, and want to see a showdown cheapy if I'm behind. Is 88 not strong enough here for that line?

When you have position this line is fine, when you dont you are given your opponent an opportunity to peel off a free card if he decides to. Not a great proposition when you hold 88.

Also there are a multitude of hands that will raise a board like this. Flush draws, pocket pairs, etc. The way ahead/behind term is overused.

You can also pretty safely fold to a turn raise.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:28 PM

Rob-

I knew there was some text I had read on a situation somewhat like this before. Do you own a copy of HEPFAP? If so read page 123. The play being described is a little different, but I think in this situation (you raised preflop) you are more often than not going to be "played back at" on the flop.

EDIT: Post this stuff in the shorthanded forum also, you will get much better responses.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:41 PM

I'll take a look at page 123 and see what I can get from it.

Thanks for the response. Do you play shorthanded much? Is it supposed to be this much of a goldmine? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2004, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the response. Do you play shorthanded much? Is it supposed to be this much of a goldmine?

I was working off a bonus at UB about 4 months ago and played a lot of heads up and 3 handed. It was fun to let my inner LAG out [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Other than that, I dont. But in theory your edge is being multiplied at a quicker rate so it makes sense that they would be more profitable that fullring games. The swings are a bitch I hear [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 11:45 PM

looks good to me.

generally i think if you never folded a pocketpair heads up in a shorthanded situation you wouldn't be making that big of a mistake.

also don't post results in the original post though.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:13 AM

Why not pull out the stop &amp; go?