Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 06:23 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.
Default A9o, in front of pf maniac

<font color="purple">Opponent raises about 50% of all his hands, and limps the other half. Pretty nice, I've hit a few big pots because of him. Postflop, he plays loose passive, but he's capable of folding. He rarely LAGs it up postflop.

The rest of the table is half split between tightish easy to read players and loose passives. I've been taking advantage of this players willingness to 3-bet me so I can thin the field. I am able to raise more marginal hands because of this. I feel like I am in control of this table.

Also, I came into this table when it was 5 handed, and it was full of loose players. I'm having a lot of success with this method of table selection.
</font>
<font color="blue">Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 02-23-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: A9o, in front of pf maniac

umm, way to go.

What exactly are you asking?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:42 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

given your description, perfect
Old 02-23-2005, 07:06 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
umm, way to go.

What exactly are you asking?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I often have the best hand on the flop. I was wondering if my assumption is correct. I wouldn't mind him folding here at all, but I still believe I'm best here. What do you think? I don't know if I've ever bet A high for value.

I'd also like to hear how others select tables. Most of the full tables I get on are full of TAG's. I hate it. I don't know how to play against them.

Tips? Play even tighter preflop, raise less? Less value betting with marginal hands? Check those behind on the river? Or bet/fold? I suck at bluffing too btw. Thank you microlimits!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I've ever bet A high for value

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? this seems like a great move in this situation. His flop call indicatest that you might very well be good. This is the perfect board to value bet ace high on. Well done

[ QUOTE ]
I suck at bluffing too btw. Thank you microlimits!

[/ QUOTE ]

Pick up a copy of ciaffone's "improve your poker" There is a section on bluffing that you might find helpful. It may not help you @ your current level but it will help you down the road. For the record, I thinkt he whole book is pretty good and definatly worht a read.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I've ever bet A high for value

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? this seems like a great move in this situation. His flop call indicatest that you might very well be good. This is the perfect board to value bet ace high on. Well done

[ QUOTE ]
I suck at bluffing too btw. Thank you microlimits!

[/ QUOTE ]

Pick up a copy of ciaffone's "improve your poker" There is a section on bluffing that you might find helpful. It may not help you @ your current level but it will help you down the road. For the record, I thinkt he whole book is pretty good and definatly worht a read.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll pick it up. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I often have the best hand on the flop. I was wondering if my assumption is correct. I wouldn't mind him folding here at all, but I still believe I'm best here. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I've ever bet A high for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a leak. A lesson I learned from playing a lot of shorthanded (among many others).

[ QUOTE ]
I'd also like to hear how others select tables. Most of the full tables I get on are full of TAG's. I hate it. I don't know how to play against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find a table that has at least one LP and maybe a LAG or two. You'll be able to pick these players out after watching an orbit or two. They'll be seeing the majority of the flops.

As far as playing at a table full of TAG, this may sound crazy, but I raise MORE. Sure you'll get reraised when one of them has a hand, but you'll make a lot of steals. And when you catch they'll be overplaying their premium pair or AK unimproved and you'll win some good pots. This takes some experience so don't expect to just be able to 'do' what I'm saying just by reading this. I'm just trying to give you an idea.

My advice would be to play only at 6max tables for a couple months, or at least until you beat the game for 1-2 bb's. I played 6max almost exclusively for a year and the improvements I've made to my game are astounding. I've recently returned to full ring and it almost seems too easy.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:30 AM

Lol. Play this guy just like you would play against me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It seems like you are betting the best hand in this spot.

Brad
Old 02-23-2005, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I've ever bet A high for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a leak. A lesson I learned from playing a lot of shorthanded (among many others).

[/ QUOTE ]
I take that back about not value betting A-high, because I have been playing at 1/2 6-max for about 40k hands with a juicy profit (&gt; 2BB/100). I have certainly bet that for value there.

I haven't played full-ring in awhile, and when I did I was not the same player I am today. So, I guess it's possible I could have consciously been doing that back at .5/1 full, but I don't remember. It's a little different to me at a full table. Not to mention, I am not used to full tables ending up with 2-3 way pots so often.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:51 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you're not so much value betting (which connotes wanting to get called). you're more preventing a free card. if he was laggy postflop you'd be better off checking