Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 04:08 AM

Default 40/80 River Check-raise?

Live 40-80 hand.

It's Saturday night, 1 a.m.

I'm dressed up in my sekxay black shirt, wearing my lucky silver dragon necklace, my smooth long hair slicked back (as opposed to wearing my lucky cap) and I look like I came outta da club fresh from having one too many coronas and some lipstick marks on ma neck.

Fantastic game going. I have just won 2 straight and am in the cutoff.

3 limpers to me, I call with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Button calls. SB calls, BB checks.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. All check to me and I bet, Button calls faster than Alizee can bring a boner up for up for most of these 2+2'ers here. Everyone else folds.

Button is a horrible predictable player who only raises with broadway or big ass pocket pair pre-flop. He is weak when when strong, strong when weak. Bluffs the river far too much if checked to. A calling station for the part. If he raises though, he has the goods..usually. Right now he's stuck over $2000 at least and keeps short buying for $500.

Turn comes a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I bet, again he calls faster than most of the bonus whores on the Internet forum jumping on the next Party bonus reload.

River pairs with the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I check with the intention of check-raising. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Spank ma play...

Lawrence
Old 02-22-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: 40/80 River Check-raise?

i was expecting to see you check-calling the river. i dont think checkraising serves much purpose other than to get him to fold his 8. you said weak means strong for him, so wouldnt that mean that him calling you down means he has a hand he is glued to?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:09 AM

I like the river check, hate the river check/raise. I think the check is cleary the best play against this sort of opponent, but the raise makes little or no sense. Most calling stations won't bet any hand that you can beat here, except a stone cold bluff, and won't fold any hands that beat you or tie you to a c/r. The only value I see in a river c/r is not being forced to show...am I missing something?

lf
Old 02-22-2005, 06:10 AM

I'm not sure, but I think by including the quickness of the calls, Lawrence ws implying that the villian had a draw that he would river bluff with, at least that was how I read it.

lf
Old 02-22-2005, 06:13 AM

ohhhhh
i thought he was referring to his betting patterns with strong means weak kind of stuff, but obviously he means tells. in that case checkraising the river makes sense.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:02 AM

Was gonna ream your play, then realized i had misread the flop, and thought you were checkraising a calling station on the river with a 9 high. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I like the line a lot. It makes me want to do the same thing. holy crap. you are totally tapping the aquarium.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:24 AM

Yeah...I don't know what I'm missing. This seems like too obvious of a check-call spot, unless he is sooooo tilty that he will look you up with JT just to make sure you don't have J8 or T8.

Also, if you do call, turn your hand up immediately to let him muck and save face so he keeps playing.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:59 PM

Is there really a hand that a) you beat b)will bet the river and c) will call the river raise? You said the guy likes to bluff the river, but what would he do with 66 on this river?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm dressed up in my sekxay black shirt, wearing my lucky silver dragon necklace, my smooth long hair slicked back (as opposed to wearing my lucky cap) and I look like I came outta da club fresh from having one too many coronas and some lipstick marks on ma neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I own any clothing that is capable of making me look like I just came out of a club. Does this hurt my live game? What sort of pants do I need to acquire?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:01 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

useless