Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 06:14 AM

Default AA when shortstacked

Another hand from last night´s PokerStars $200 + $15.
Now I'm running short on chips and need to double up.
MP3 is a strong player who is consistently at the top of TLB. At this point, I had entered three hands previously and folded to reraises everytime, so I am certain that he views me as weak-tight.

How'd I do?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 (t3335)
MP1 (t3407)
MP2 (t2878)
<font color="#C00000">MP3 (t3635)</font>
CO (t8355)
Button (t3495)
SB (t3615)
BB (t1855)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t960)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t450, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1125) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t510</font>, Hero calls t510 (All-In).

Turn: (t2145) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2145) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2145

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ad As (two pair, aces and fives).
MP3 has 3h 4h (straight flush, six high).
Outcome: MP3 wins t2145. </font>

I thought I played this one properly. Does anyone go all-in preflop? I didn't want to chase everyone out as I needed to double through. What about the check on the flop? Since I knew he viewed me as weak-tight I was pretty sure that he would bet the flop and that therefore this was the best way to go. I got my wish. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 02-21-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: AA when shortstacked

It's easy to look back and tell yourself you should've pushed pre-flop, but your reasoning was good. Just a little unlucky that someone called your pre-flop raise with a low suited connector and managed to hit it about as perfect as it could be hit.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:33 AM

I like your play here, especially your push after the flop. With a bigger stack, you could of course have forced him to lay down.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:29 AM

i'd play it the same

except i'd open push the flop.

i doubt it would make much of a difference in this situation, this guy loved the draw.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

except i'd open push the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this
Old 02-21-2005, 04:44 PM

I would've pushed pre-flop. Betting 450 is about 1/2 your stack, so everyone knows you're pot committed. A push looks more like a desperate act, a 450 bet looks more like a lure.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:49 PM

If you think you've got a weak table image, I might even limp here. Obviously you don't want to start a limp-fest, but it's not going to set off the alarm bells that a limp from an apparent TAG might. A couple of limpers and a raise from LP would be delightful.

That said I can't argue with the raise, or with a push. Honestly the only truly horrible play would be to fold.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would've pushed pre-flop. Betting 450 is about 1/2 your stack, so everyone knows you're pot committed. A push looks more like a desperate act, a 450 bet looks more like a lure.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. once you get to the flop, i like a check. you're going to get all-in if he has anything reasonable at all, and if you check it to him you might get all-in if he doesn't. the only thing arguing for a bet here is that you don't want to give up a free gut-shot. i would say that calling a PFR for half of the PFRer's stack with a connector as low as 89 is rare/bad enough that you don't have to worry about it (and therefore villain doesn't have a gutshot), but looking at the results, apparently i'm wrong. i'd still check the flop though.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 PM

Yes, I think that Born to Lose's observation is right.
But once I'm called, I think that checking the flop is
my best shot at extracting more money from the hand.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 02-21-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But once I'm called, I think that checking the flop is my best shot at extracting more money from the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think schwza's response is right-on in this regard.