Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2002, 12:17 AM

Default I REALLY NEED TO SAY THIS....

Good Midnight Everyone ( well for me at least )

I just have to say this cause it is a concept that a lot of card players don't seem to understand.

If you never layed down a winning hand...you will never be a winning player.

Feel free to comment

CJ
Old 09-14-2002, 02:57 AM

Default Hello,CJ! It would seem to ....

be more reasonable to believe that at least ONE winning player NEVER layed down a winning hand since there are a large # of current and past winners.
Your statement is virtually impossible to prove. U would have to obtain testimoney from ALL current AND past winners.
This task is quite formidable!
However,U can obtain a large sample of winners and estimate the "probability" of your staement being accurate.
Happy pokering!
Sitting Bull
Old 09-14-2002, 08:17 AM

Default Re: I REALLY NEED TO SAY THIS....

what you really mean is that you will not win as much as you should if youve never knowingly laid down a winning hand. it is being good enough to make the right decision in the right circumstances that evinces you are a winning player. lots of bad players fold winners by making the wrong play.

i think you can be a winning player without tossing a winner especially at stud. less so in holdem, but in stud the pot gets so big so fast that it is a rare occasion that you should be throwing away a strong hand. i think this is especially true at 1-5 and 5-10, less so at 10-20 where the players are somewhat better and wil put more pressure on you.

Pat
Old 09-15-2002, 03:40 PM

Default Hello Sitting Bull!

Think about it for a minute. What is the only strategy guaranteed to avoid the possibility of laying down a winning hand? On the other hand, I suppose that if someone just played one poker hand, and won, then that would meet the challenge, but barring that, the only way I can think of never to lay down a winner is to play them all to showdown.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:47 AM

Default Hello,Ginogino! CJ did not. specify...

any particular street for laying down a winning hand.
He said that "if U never lay down a winning hand...."
What if I choose to never lay down a possible winner on 7TH Str. ONLY----but choose NOT to play ALL Strs.?
OTOH,there is a possibility of laying down a winning hand when I do fold on an early Str. Hmmm So It seems as if U are correct--I would have to play ALL Strs. to be certain that I do not lay down a winning hand. Hence,I believe U are correct. However,CJ's statement might be consider a poker theory--but NOT a poker law.
It would still be very difficult to prove.
I do not know if there is a mathematical proof of the following statement:
If a player plays all Strs over a very long time,he will definitely be a loser.
Maybe the "BIG KIDS" in the "Probability section" might be able to shed some light on this theory.
Just for the record,I do believe that the above statement is valid.
Happy pokering,
Sitting Bull

Hmmmm
Just wondering
[img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2002, 04:53 AM

Default Hello,Pat! But does CJ mean ....

playing ALL streets ALL the time to make sure U NEVER toss a winner away or on some particular Str==like 7th IF U decide to NEVER toss it away if U beat what U see?

Just wondering
Sitting Bull
Old 09-17-2002, 02:28 PM

Default Amen to that

Old 09-18-2002, 01:48 AM

Default Re: I REALLY NEED TO SAY THIS....

Hello Everybody,

More notes..
I wasn't necessarily referring to the river laydowns. ( although you shouldn't be a calling station either )

One example I was referring to is when you raise with Aces and get a few callers. Then 1 of them pairs their doorcard and bets into you. You fold, but later learned you had the better hand.

I brought this up cause I was playing the other day and I actually got bluffed out of a large pot by somebody. My opponent next to me knew ( basically ) what I had and can't believe I didn't call the raise. ( actually I would have had to call 2 big bets cold )

What that person doesn't realize is in that particular situation, my hand would have been good probably 1 in 50 times.

Twas all ok in the long run. I played 5 hours of $5-10 Stud and made $600. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJ